Pope, what pope?

Dateline: Wed 13 Mar 2013

A friend reports that as of 5:50 p.m. the Indy Star website had no mention of the election of a new pope.

I did see the story at 5:53 p.m.

Phew.

Another friend is feeling suspicious...and I second these concerns:

"Have you noticed that if you're looking at a story at indystar.com then close the browser or tab that it's on, a new window will pop up for the indystar site?

I've noticed this on 2 different computers and wonder if it's a sneaky way to increase the number of page visits. Always the skeptic."

I see the page "stutter" whenever I pull it up; it appears, burps, then pops up again.

Page-per-view wizardry? Two for one? Playing with the counts? I too am "always the skeptic."

As for why the pope story was so slow, it's true there is lots of breaking local news, but mainly not enough reporters or editors.

Even the mighty mighty Dan McFeeley could not get the Pope breaking news up there....until after the fact.

Comments

Paul K. Ogden [unverified] said:

I was going to make a crack about Dan McFeeley being so far up the orifice of a certain Carmel politician that he had no way of hearing about the new Pope, but then I remembered its Lent and I'm trying to not make wisecracks about underperforming Star writers.

2013-03-13 18:51:55

Gene Poole [unverified] said:

The Scar gets worse with time. They puckered shut years back when their comments section wobbled off giro on the property tax issue. Deceive the masses and eat with the clasees until readers and then shareholders figure things out.

2013-03-13 19:39:54

Page reloads are common. You see, there are scripts embedded in the pages, and they plant or update cookies on your machine, which are then validated by the page reloads.

My strongest possible suggestion is to go to Ghostery.com, and get their browser app and install it, then importantly check-off each and every script block. They're tracking you, and everyone else. Learn how this works, because it's part of the broken rewards system and privacy invasion that drives much of the Internet today.

2013-03-14 11:39:33

guest [unverified] said:

This is simply not true, just like your Conour "story." For someone who likes to bash the Star so much, at least get basic facts right. Amazing, a friend tells you something and you post it without any checking. Again. Have you no self respect?

2013-03-15 22:50:18

escapedbeforebeinggannettized [unverified] said:

Guest:
This is a blog, not the classifed section of legal notices.

2013-03-16 12:17:21

guest [unverified] said:

Hey escaped, it blatant crap and not true. I get the bashing because you all need to feel good about yourselves, but lets not just make up stuff. There are plenty of valid things to criticize.

2013-03-19 22:00:14

guesttoo [unverified] said:

guest: Thank you for your first comment. You speak for many.

2013-03-19 23:54:32

Jason [unverified] said:

Short of a brief stint delivering the News back in the 90's, I've never worked for a newspaper/publisher/whatever. Certainly not the Star.

I don't say this with joy, I say it with regret and a touch of sadness. The Star sucks. We can split hairs all day long, but at the end of the day we're still left with a newspaper as dumb as the box of hair we've been playing with.

Every time I see a beat reporter from the Star out gathering information for a story, I feel like I need to give them a dollar. Their paper is that bad.

2013-03-20 09:50:06