Terry Hutchens makes his break

Dateline: Tue 02 Jul 2013

Here's what the Indianapolis Star's Indiana University beat writer Hutchens posted a bit ago on his Facebook page, regarding the Star's decision to reassign him:

"I'm happy to announce to all my Facebook friends that I resigned today at the Indianapolis Star after 22 years, the last 15 on the IU beat, and accepted a position with Fox Sports/Scout where I will help them launch the Indiana site for Scout.com. Basically what this means for me is that I'll be able to do exactly what I've done for the last 15 years but now I'll be my own boss, have a small staff of people, and be able to continue to do what I really want to do. Eight days ago I learned I had been taken off the IU beat by The Star. Within four days I had a job offer and I accepted it yesterday. I appreciate those at Fox Sports having faith in me that I can bring my brand and Star following to Scout and do what I do best. My new twitter handle is @FoxSportsHutch. The launch date is set for July 21. At that time you'll be able to sign up for a subscription. It costs about $10 a month if you go month-by-month or $8 plus if you sign up for a year at a time. I'm sure all my former Star readers will be getting line to follow me at Scout. :o] I'll continue to take the high road with The Star and to tell you the truth they were more than fair with me today when I submitted my resignation. I just can't tell you all how happy I am that my job in a few weeks will continue to be the same one I've enjoyed for many years -- except I'll be running the show. Very cool."

Congrats to Terry, who has turned a bleak future into a bed of roses.

So far he has 130 plus "like" on his comments on Facebook and many positive comments.

One more item: when is the Star ever going to assign someone to cover Purdue University? Although the memo said that would happen, it always seems an after-thought.

Also, many of us are bummed out about David Woods getting ousted from the Butler University beat, right at the moment Butler is poised for the East Conference.

Expect more defections within the Star sports staff.

Comments

Steve Russo [unverified] said:

As you posted on Terry's Facebook, cream does rise. While I'm no expert on the workings of a newspaper, it appeared to me that the Indy Star sports department was the one section that wasn't broke and didn't need fixing. Appears I underestimated the Star management's continued alienation from its core readers.

2013-07-02 21:38:25

No place to run, nowhere to hide. Their bidding must be done. Sorry to speak in cliches, but yes....sports was immune for a long time. Then the long tentacles....ouch. Another cliche.
Seriously, all Gannett does is alienate readers with stuff like this. It's a huge shake-up. There's also the problem of ageism...the rap is the older reporters are not "keeping up" and it's all about Twitter and being able to communicate with younger players. Of course, Miller and the Benners left years ago. Life will go on. Thanks for your comment.

2013-07-03 04:14:31

2013-07-03 04:14:35

With seniority, experience and yes, age, goes the institutional memory. Youngsters have no idea how to spell SerVaas much less know who he is, or that the Pacers have a huge breakup penalty if they move to another city, or etc.

2013-07-04 21:41:11

escapedbeforebeinggannettized [unverified] said:

I am a former 20 year employee and had the fortune to hear David Wood speak a few months ago at a local Rotary Club luncheon here in central Indiana. His knowledge of Butler basketball was superb and his passion for it equally high. His wife was in the audience and they were about to leave to go to St. Louis to watch, cover and & enjoy a Bulldog game. Bringing your mate along to the luncheon & to the game displays a sharing passion that no one can put a price on. Why in the hell the Star / Gannett would want to change that is beyond perplexing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". They were lucky to have him with his expertise on "The Butler Way" and don't even know the resources they had with him. Just when I think Gannett can't drain any more water out of the shallow end of the pool, they somehow manage to do just that.

2013-07-05 08:31:33

howard smulevitzs [unverified] said:

Tom and Escaped,
You are both correct. And guys, 'they' know what you are saying. 'They' do not care. They do not want what you are talking about. Example: Is anyone writing about the city's and state's history of mayoral/political/Chamber of Commerce control of the public schools and all it entailed for the personnel, the policies and the students? That stuff makes stories longer as well as better. But it's just not important to 'them.' It ain't on the agenda.

2013-07-05 22:26:45

howard smulevitz [unverified] said:

Should have added the acknowledgement that I was notorious (the kindest word some editors might use) for doing what I've suggested, often by packing background information into a story or doing sidebars to provide perspective. Often not fascinating to many, definitely space-cloggers, but journalistically valid.

2013-07-05 22:40:53