Robert Bell passes

Dateline: Sun 30 Sep 2012

Here is the obit from Feeny Morhak:

"Robert Noble Bell, 73, of Indianapolis departed this life September 29, 2012. He was born March 24, 1939 in Indianapolis to Robert Noble and Martha A. (Heffernan) Bell. Robert was a reporter and editor for the Indianapolis Star and News. He was a member of Christ the King Catholic Church and the Indianapolis Press Club. He is survived by his beloved wife Patricia Ann Griffo Bell, children Ann (Brian) Collins, Maureen (Vince) Mifsud, Robert (Maren) Bell III, brothers James and Michael Bell, sisters Barbara, Ann and Maureen Bell, Martha Jean Young, Kathy Crabill, Karen VanBenthuysen, grandchildren Sean, Kevin and Erin Collins, Skylar and Aidan Mifsud and Liam Bell. Robert was preceded in death by his parents and brother Stephen Bell and sister Janet Brownlee. A Mass of Christian Burial will be Thursday, October 4 at Christ the King Catholic Church at 11 am. Visitation will be from 4 - 8 pm on Wednesday, October 3 at Feeney-Hornak Keystone Mortuary. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Elizabeth/Coleman Pregnancy and Adoption Services. Extended biography may be viewed and condolences may be offered at www.feeneyhornakkeystone.com."

You could hardly look at an Indy Star from the 70s and 80s and not see a front page story by Robert Bell. He ruled.

He was old school, back in the days when the Star was the only and/or best source of news. Bobby did it all. Government, city beats, the whole megillah.

His son Bobby Bell says he died peacefully at home. "He was at home, peacefully sleeping," says Bobby, a former copy boy at the Star.

God bless Bobby Bell and his family.

Comments

howard smulevitz [unverified] said:

Good bye,Bob. It was always a pleasure to be with you and an honor to work with you. You started on the city desk a day before I arrived, in September, 1962, and unstintingly shared what I needed to know that afternoon. You never stopped being generous and while you were a fine professional newspaperman, I will remember you as a friend. My heart goes out to Patty and the whole Bell family.

2012-09-30 21:51:51

Bob was a hardworking, careful, ethical newsman, part of the incomparable newsroom team that I remember with fondness from my and Mary Anne's time at INI.

2012-10-01 06:22:18

Bill Benner [unverified] said:

A newspaperman's newspaperman.

2012-10-01 07:24:53

john bansch [unverified] said:

i watched bob grow from a copy boy at the star in the late 1950s into a superb reporter. he was serious about his work and fun to with away from the office. he was, as bill benner sp aptly described him, a newspaperman's newspaperman.

2012-10-01 11:10:19

Farm Girl [unverified] said:

I've been trying to think of something different to say about Bob than my Facebook comment to John Bansch, in between memories of all the years I've known Bob (just slightly long than you John!)
So much to remember, and to say, but it boils down to he was a sweet guy as well as a good reporter.

2012-10-01 13:02:58

George Stuteville [unverified] said:

I will carry great memories of Bob Bell to my own deathbed. Funny, irreverent, smart, smart-mouthed. When I was on police beat and he was an ACE, his first words to me most shifts was: Whatdoyagotformetoday? Usually I had nothing. So Bob would give me a tip to follow or promote a cop shop short I managed to dredge up to the split page or sometimes to the front if it was really slow.

Then, at 15 seconds after the 6 p.m. deadline, we'd celebrate at Yody's regardless.

As always, though, Bill said it best.

2012-10-01 13:16:00

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Sigh!

Another reminder of the end of the days when The Star mattered.

2012-10-01 13:40:26

Bobby Bell [unverified] said:

Thanks all for the kind words and great memories. There are certainly a lot of stories to tell!I know it's been especially nice for my mom to have many of you reach out to her (either on the phone, or through comments such as these). We appreciate all of it.

2012-10-01 20:23:48