'Indy Star to Charge For Article Access. Does it matter?'

Dateline: Tue 11 Sep 2012

Some interesting comments about the Indianapolis Star's decision to move increasingly online and charge for access to read its material; the first comment is from the person who submitted this to reddit:

"I actually considered paying up because I know journos have it rough these days and I want to keep a local news source alive. Then I saw it was $12.00 a month; that seems high for a regional paper.

"Is there ANY price you guys would pay for access to their content? Or, do you think people will just give up on the Star as a local online news source?"

Read the comments. It's grim out there.

From my perspective, I'll stick with the paper, both print and online, of course, until the bitter end.

But friends who are more affluent are giving it up; they won't pay $27 a month or $30 a month or whatever the going price is for the print version plus online access. Of course, $12 seems to me a small price for access online, but do read/scan the comments...most people are not willing to go there. Quality of stories, the failing state of Big Journo, all that...figure in.

Thanks to a younger friend for sending this reddit thread my way. As they said in Vietnam when the bombs hit the villages, "Sorry 'bout that."

Finally, the street scuttlebutt: the Indianapolis Star expects a 25 to 30 percent drop in subscriptions with its new price structure.  Sorry 'bout that.

Comments

Farm Girl [unverified] said:

I am temporarily living away from Indiana, but still like to keep up, especially the obits. Turns out that because we have dutifully paid for a subscription for 50 years and still do, I get the online for free. But it is so poorly organized I wish it were the old version that I thought was poorly organized...

2012-09-11 18:15:45

Michael [unverified] said:

As a college student, I subscribe to the New York Times digital edition. They have a student rate of 99ยข the first month then $7.50 per month after that. It just doesn't make sense to pay more for the Star.

2012-09-11 19:50:55

Watch the headlines change from yawning to "pageview mode" which means they'll try to suck you into their paywall.

The snoozers will now become: gotta read this!!!

Oh, wait....

2012-09-11 19:55:01

We here at Green Acres will stick with the print version so long as motorcarriers can be gulled into home delivery. Because. Besides, I have many uses for old newspapers, from fire starters to paint wipes to packing stuffing. You can rant and wave a newspaper article that you don't agree with; try that with a Kindle.

2012-09-12 06:54:44

Farm Girl [unverified] said:

I agree with you Tom, except that I am outside Indiana right now. I read the Beaufort Gazette, which cannot make up its mind about politics, for ranting and waving (or checking on the Braves).

2012-09-12 07:34:16

A reasonable price is appropriate.

Michael's observation is spot-on.

The NYT is a superb journalistic product--still. If IndyStar wants us to read it's gotta be cheaper. Period.

For free obits, go to Legacy.com. I feel guilty doing it, but...

2012-09-12 18:03:19

escapedbeforebeinggannettized [unverified] said:

If the Star were getting the advertisng dollars/revenue it needed from both print and on-line, they would not be needing to do this.
Since they are a greedy lot, they
figure they may as well go big (or stay home). My newspaper subscription is up in Oct., and I will not be renewing/not taking the print or online version. In addition to the local tv stations, and the news cable networks of PBS, Bloomberg, etc. I will occasionally buy a Washington Post or N.Y. Times. About a year ago, I read an article on editorandpublisher.com about a fairly large newspaper(can't remember which one) that had started charging for its online content. After a year, it suspended the program and stopped charging readers for on-line content.
The viewership/page views/unique visitors had dropped dramatically, and it was not delivering the numbers and eyeballs for advertisers for them to want to advertise on the website.
I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens here in Indy. If it flops, and they do lose a hefty % of subscriptions, look for the Star to eliminate or drastically reduce the charge amount.

2012-09-13 08:00:25

As a photographer, the thing I want to know about The Star is this: why is Cathy Kightlinger posed with a crooked neck and slanted head in every photo I see of her in the paper/on the website? I'm assuming she doesn't have some kind of health issue that causes her to have a crooked neck/slanted head.

2012-09-14 12:19:04