Roxanne Morgan dies

Dateline: Mon 15 Oct 2012

Roxanne Morgan, 54, died while on vacation out West, in Nevada, of an apparent heart attack.

She was the chief copy editor for the Indianapolis Star and one hell of a slot devil. Kind, down-to-earth, extraordinarily talented -- her loss is already felt.

Here is what her former colleague Pete Scott said about her on linked-in:

"Roxanne Morgan is an incredibly talented editor, writer and supervisor. Her vocabulary, attention to detail, grammatical mastery and ability to apply creative twists to dry content are unmatched. As a supervisor, she leads by example with relentless work ethic, and she shows compassion and encouragement often missing in highly charged newsrooms. You will not find a better editor or supervisor. This is not social-networking hyperbole -- this is the truth.” December 17, 2008"

She and I worked together on the copy desk lo these many years ago. She loved her Steve, her pack of dogs, and Montana and Wyoming, where she hoped to live someday on a ranch. As a friend said, it's a good way to go: on vacation, in the fullness of life.

But I am very sad, and I know others are mourning her terribly and are shocked by her untimely passing.

Comments

George Stuteville [unverified] said:

Ugh...I am so sad to hear of this. God Bless You, Roxanne. You made the world so much more understandable because of your editing skills.

2012-10-15 15:17:09

Here is some more info from Judy Wolf, who was a copy editor working with Roxanne (from Facebook):

I'm sorry to post this, but there's some very sad news from The Star's newsroom.
Roxanne Morgan, The Star's copy desk chief for years, has died. She'd worked at the paper for 31 years. I got a call from a newsroom friend about 10 a.m. Rox and Steve were on vacation. They were driving to a hotel, and she started crying from pain. They called an ambulance, but it was more than 2 miles away. That's everything I know. Don't know if the ambulance got there in time or what.
Rox was a great journalist and an even better person. She was one of the 2 best bosses I've ever had -- kind, empathic, very considerate. I know some Newsies never worked with her. But those who did know what a loss this is to journalism in the city and to the newsroom.

2012-10-15 15:31:42

Howard Smulevitz [unverified] said:

Two in a week.
if Ruth, you have any good stuff tucked away for a time like this, put it out there now, please.
I don't recall that I've ever met Steve, but my condolences go out to him.
I knew Roxanne only in the office, and I didn't realize she had been there that long. I admired her professionalism and enjoyed talking with her, although the chances for the latter were all too few.
The world again is poorer in ways it cannot afford to be.

2012-10-15 20:43:06

Pete Scott [unverified] said:

Hi Star friends and journalists everywhere. I am devastated, as I'm sure many are. Roxanne was my mentor, my friend, and the best editor I've ever known. She taught me more about journalism and ethics than anyone I've ever known. She loved her husband, her family, her friends, her co-workers, and all of God's creatures.
Honestly, she was different and special. I saw her tear up but stay strong, I saw her take stands but stand down when it was prudent, and I saw a woman who loved everyone for their lovable traits, not their foibles. Heck, she loved their foibles, too. Love Roxanne, like she loved you, and she'll be in your heart forever. She's with God.

2012-10-15 22:52:43

Eric Schoch [unverified] said:

Ack, first Bob Bell and now Roxanne. Sad to see the passing of two excellent journalists.

2012-10-15 23:17:44

Eric Schoch [unverified] said:

2012-10-15 23:17:47

Bill Benner [unverified] said:

Very, very sad to hear. Condolences.

2012-10-16 07:59:14

I didn't know her but am always sorry to hear that another of the Star's long-serving Ink Stained Wretches has passed, thus diminishing the sum total of literacy and knowledge in Indianapolis, together with the quality of the newspaper.

2012-10-16 14:14:26

Mary Beth Schneider [unverified] said:

I am privileged to have known Roxanne for three decades. She never called a reporter with a lame question; only good ones. She made your copy better. It's as simple as that. And she was a delight to work with. I will miss her so much. The copy editors really are the unsung heroes of the news business, and sadly we have a lot fewer than we should have.

2012-10-16 14:35:33

Diane [unverified] said:

Roxanne was a great editor and a kind soul. I was a member of her copy desk in the mid-to-late 90s. I learned lessons from her that I still use and share with my staff now and I don't even work at a newspaper.

2012-10-16 16:20:00

Mike Kent [unverified] said:

Roxanne was a great editor, boss, and friend. This is very sad news.

2012-10-17 11:24:47

whosear [Member] said:

I'm sorry for your colleagues and your loss, Ruth.

2012-10-17 20:56:19

Scott Gilbert [unverified] said:

Roxanne was a kind, strong, smart, funny person who made the world brighter for those lucky enough to know her.
The pain of losing her is sharp. Memories of times with her are precious. Reading the words of others who cherished her is comforting.
Godspeed, Roxanne. Thank you for being in my life.

2012-10-18 07:22:40

Klay Leet [unverified] said:

Many people think that heart disease is a man's problem, but in fact, heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States.

Does anyone recall the name of talented young reporter that was seriously injured in an elevator accident at the newspaper in the mid-to-late 1990's?

2012-10-18 21:20:37