Fireflies, wherefore art thou?

Dateline: Wed 04 Jul 2012

Bummer. I saw a few fireflies, or lightning bugs, in the first week or second week of June -- a flicker here and there in Butler-Tarkington, where big trees provide plenty of firefly shelter.

But then, nothing.

Last summer, as I recall, all was well.

I know from Internet gazing and common sense that fireflies have been on a watch list for some time now; too much light pollution for the little twinkies.

Now I wonder about a lack of water? Their larvae need moisture in order to make it.

Any other firefly watchers/spotters out there? Any reports from the outlying counties?

This is a major disaster in my book. Why are't children writing letters to the editor? Do we need to organize a campaign?

Comments

guy77money [unverified] said:

Saw some last night, maybe they are laying their larvae in my well watered garden and flower beds.

2012-07-04 20:57:26

JD [unverified] said:

I was reading on a travel forum that everything seemed OK down in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There are areas down there where thousands of fireflys will light up at the same time.

2012-07-05 04:29:18

We have them in Bloomington. Not as many as a good August night. They're beneficial insects and need a healthy diet of larvae and slugs. No rain means fewer bugs. They come back quickly, however, and several generations can multiply over a summer. See Wikipedia.org for more info.

2012-07-05 07:05:33

Farm girl [unverified] said:

I am thinking, without any research or scientific proof, that all this professional lawn treatment has been hard on fireflies and butterflies as well.

2012-07-05 10:57:39

I've been thinking about the headline I saw a few days ago - I believe in The Star - that said, paraphrased: "If you want to know what Global Warming looks like, this is it."

I thought it was bizarre that when scientists began publicizing very convincing information about global warming that our celebrity-focused culture started making it a referendum on the popularity of Al Gore (who made the famous documentary about GW).

On the fireflies: I know a guy in the Cleveland area who says they are still pretty abundant up there.

2012-07-05 13:52:04

rich gotshall [unverified] said:

Fireflies most often thrive in areas where there is decaying wood as well as currently growing material. My wife is a wildlife biologist studying frog and toad populations. Her research needs to be done after sundown, so in the wooded areas where she makes observations (Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area and a city park in Franklin) we have seen lots of fireflies. At times it looks like fireworks in the trees.
By the way, there are different species of fireflies, and you tell them apart by their signals. Can I tell them apart? Not at all.

2012-07-05 19:27:59

Farm girl [unverified] said:

And then there is that Ogden Nash poem, which I will attempt to quote from memory:
"The firefly's flame
is something for which science has no name
And I can think of nothing eerier
than flying around with an unidenified light on a person's posterior."

2012-07-06 07:01:01

dc [unverified] said:

Sorry, they are all in my Pringles can. I poked holes in the lid though.

2012-07-08 15:27:46

Just spent eight hot sticky days in the Smoky Mts. Not a single damned firefly.

Giant, huge crosses everywhere? Yep. The July 4th parade in Gatlingburg, America's first, starts at 12:01 a.m. Dozens of floats, many sponsored by churches, and one amazing site that dropped jaws everywhere--one float had a crucifixion, complete with a live Jesus. I kid you not. With a full-dress Marine bowing in humble adoration at the foot of the cross.

It's a brave new world out there.

2012-07-08 19:21:14