4 others make Journalism Hall of Fame cut

Dateline: Tue 10 Jan 2012

Thanks to Ray Moscowitz, board prez of the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame, for information on the other four inductees into the Hall of Fame on April 28.

Here are the others, for the record, as gleaned from their website:

"The late Mark Ferree, a longtime senior executive of the Scripps-Howard newspaper company who was a national free press advocate as president of the American Newspaper Publishers Association in 1960-62. Ferree grew up in Marion, Ind., and was a writer for the Marion Chronicle before he attended Indiana University in the early 1920s. His career included stints as a reporter for the Evansville Courier, advertising director for the Indianapolis Times and vice president of the Richmond Palladium-Item.

"Steve Kroft, a native of Kokomo, Ind., who has been a correspondent for CBS’ 60 Minutes for more than two decades. He has won numerous national awards for stories such as the vulnerability of the nation’s power grid to computer hackers and the conflict of interests between military contractors and the government in the awarding of contracts. He was a Stars and Stripes correspondent in Vietnam before starting his broadcast journalism career and joining CBS News in 1981.

"The late Kate Milner Rabb, an author, historian and pioneering newspaper columnist. Rabb was a Rockport, Ind., native who wrote columns devoted to the state’s history for The Indianapolis Star from 1920 until 1937 — a time when few women had such opportunities. She was president of the Woman’s Press Club of Indiana in 1929-31, and a residence hall at her alma mater Indiana University was named in her honor in 1961.

"David Weaver, an Indiana University professor whose research on working journalists and on agenda setting in media have gained notoriety. Weaver joined the journalism faculty at IU in 1974 after earlier earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the university. He has written or co-written several books, three focusing on data about journalists he helped gather, published in 1986, 1996 and 2007, and others focusing on agenda setting."

Here is what was written about Skip:

"Skip Hess, who spearheaded numerous prominent investigative projects during more than 30 years as a reporter for the Indianapolis News and Indianapolis Star. His work included exposing inhumane treatment of mentally ill patients at state hospitals that led to state reforms in the 1970s, and disclosure of misuse of taxpayer money after which the state schools superintendent was convicted of official misconduct and the secretary of state repaid thousands of dollars. Hess worked at the Kokomo Morning Times and the Wabash Plain Dealer before going to Indianapolis. He has continued writing an outdoors column for the Star since retiring as a reporter in 1999."

Also:

"Walt Tabak will receive the hall of fame’s first Distinguished Service Award. Tabak spent 25 years providing technical support to Indiana newspapers and broadcast stations that receive The Associated Press. He is credited with helping steer many of the state’s newsrooms through technical changes that saw the delivery of wire stories and photos go from the teletype days to satellite transmission."

This is a stellar lineup. It's always impressive to read about the history of journalism and its stars, which brighten all our lives, or did so historically.

Best to all and to their families. A proud tradition lives on, despite "the troubles."

Comments

farmgirl [unverified] said:

I guess old age is what happens when you realize you are never going to be in the journalism hall of fame...

2012-01-11 09:05:53

Not making it to the HoF doesn't mean you didn't do a great job. There are many more measures of success than getting picked for the few slots available.

2012-01-11 09:57:57

farmgirl [unverified] said:

I do think hanging in there should count for something! At least, I have thoroughly enjoyed my career, and it ain't over yet!

2012-01-11 12:33:34

I've always wondered about posthumous awards. I don't expect to get any, or to have cognitive realization that I did. Keep doing what you love best. The world is a better place for it.

2012-01-11 12:37:32

What's Moxco doing these days? He was the tallest short editor in the Nixon chain, at Wabash, last timke I knew of him. Our own Danny Devito.

2012-01-11 14:53:43

ray moscowitz [unverified] said:

I don't know who Tell The Truth is, but here's a response to his/her question.

Retired in 1998 after Nixon Newspapers was sold.

Since then have taught two semesters at IU Kokomo, worked as a writing coach, done some newspaper consulting and written several freelance pieces, mostly for the Sunday business section of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.

Two years ago produced a sequel to the basketball book I wrote in 1990.

Just finished a book project in conjunction with my older sister. Another book (a collection of 50 pieces out of thousands I wrote over five decades) should go into production in the next few weeks.

Have been president of the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame for four years.

My big venture these days is serving as the volunteer professional advisor for the Blair Pointe Elementary School(in Peru, IN) newspaper produced by 6th graders.

Turned 74 in January; can't complain for an old fart.

One last thing: I enjoy reading your comments on Ruth's site.

2012-01-11 16:58:08

Ah, Ray, you old coot. Thanks.

2012-01-12 20:34:33

I can probablyl relay through Ruthie my personal contact info....I've been in your office, and one photo is etched in my mind (please tell me it's not a flawed memory): you on some airport tarmak, following several steps behind someone taller (I think LBJ?), gesturing with your hands as if you're arguing profusely, And the artful mechanics of the picture are priceless.

Or did I dream it?

2012-01-13 06:05:29

Ray Moscowitz [unverified] said:

I hope Ruthie doesn't mind our little exchange on her turf, but to answer your question ...

The photo you might have seen is one in which I am interviewing Henry Finkle, who was a 7-foot All American basketball player at the University of Dayton, at the Dayton Airport. At the time -- late '60s -- I was a reporter for the Dayton Journal Herald. The photo ran on Page 1 (as I recall), and the cutline read something like, "JH's Ray Moscowitz (5-0) interviews Dayton All American Henry Finkle (7-0)." The photo was in my office for a few years. I replaced it with a painting, on a piece of raw wood, of an Indian warrior -- which is a whole'nother story.

I still have no idea who you are, but this has been an interesting exchange.

Thanks, Ruth, for your hospitality.

2012-01-13 09:46:05

Ruthie is a gracious host. I'll correspond with her about hooking us up.

I remember that photo well in your office at the WPD. I don't know how I thought it was LBJ. LOL

2012-01-15 13:18:19