Bully bitches next?

Dateline: Fri 13 Apr 2012

The word is that exec editor Dennis Ryerson was pushed out the door, albeit gently and not publicly.

Indianapolis Star publisher Karen Crocthfelt does not suffer fools gladly.

Some expect a woman to be named the new exec editor. She (or he) will be tough.

But tough is the byword in today's journalism, and the new tough simply means doing less with more and being paid less for more.

Unless you're at the top, in which case you are paid a lot more for whatever.

Comments

I'm going to keep an open mind. Ya never know. A new regime has a lot of work to do, kinda like Obama. It's a hot seat. Maybe this editor can fix the CMS, get news, recruit writers for draconian serf wages, be friends (or at least not a mortal enemy with) the Guild, and make people want to subscribe again. Barring that, SOS,DD.

2012-04-13 11:39:39

Maybe someone can straighten me out about my current perceptions concerning The Star.

I am in my late '50s and would classify myself as "lower-middle-class" due to physical disability and chronic health issues.

I am a Thursday and Sunday subscriber. I first started reading The Star about the time John Kennedy got elected.

I look at the paper now and I just find very little I can relate to. So much of what I see reminds me of the Indianapolis Monthly - of interest primarily to the wealthy, semi-wealthy, and/or Yuppies.

I put it (The Star) down after I read the front page news and sports section. It is all becoming increasingly less relevant to me. My wife spends about 25 minutes looking at it and our 20-year-old son ignores it completely.

Will the new editor try to bring people like me back to the fold (after all, I think I am in the age group most inclined to subscribe to home delivery of a newspaper), or will I find increasingly less content of interest to me in The Star?

Is The Star wise in leaving long-time readers like me behind? Or, should they leave me behind to court younger readers with the future in mind?

By the way, I do read the website several times a week but won't when/if The Star starts charging me for it.

2012-04-13 15:30:12

guy77money [unverified] said:

Hendy your living in a fantasy world! The Star current staff hasn't got a clue who their reader are anymore. I don't think a new person will get the money or the resources to climb out of their hole. It's us older folk who are reading the newspaper no one under 30 is touching it, except for the coupons and the ads and maybe the sports page. The paper keeps getting less relevant for the over 40 crowd that still reads it. Maybe the management at the Star will wake up but don't count on it. It's one lousy business model.

2012-04-13 18:35:16

When you pay top execs super-millions, and writers peanuts, you get what you deserve.

Yeah, it really is that simple.

Dennis got the boot. 'Scuse me while I whip up some crocodile tears.

We get a repirieve, I hope, from reading that God-awful smarmy column he writes every week.

2012-04-13 19:22:19

I've been told that the optimist sees the glass half full, and the pessimist, half empty. The engineer knows the glass is twice as big as it needs to be, and the lawyer knows he'll defend whoever wants to argue. The accountant will make sure someone pays for the glass, and the journalist will cover the whole story and make it sound interesting. Or not.

2012-04-13 21:31:26

jersey [unverified] said:

Mid 50's, grew up reading the paper, still get it 7 days a week. I agree that there are days when nothing seems worth my time...I know The Star continues to force good people out...what is it that we are looking for in the paper that would make it worth the time, money?

2012-04-14 14:39:38

"what is it that we are looking for in the paper that would make it worth the time, money?"

Jersey, I could go on and on in answering that question. One thing I miss are the great feature writers The Star used to have and the great features written about interesting people and places all over the state of Indiana. Now, it seems The Star has given up on being "the state newspaper" and has focused almost entirely on metro Indianapolis. That makes us miss out on a lot of all things Hoosier.

I miss columnists who wrote with true depth, insight and feeling.

I miss ongoing investigative journalism where the projects didn't end after one or two stories.

I sometimes cringe at The Star's current "Chamber of Commerce cheerleading" which elevates the causes of the socio-economic elite and ignores the causes of the common man and woman and the working poor.

I miss an entertainment section that told us what was going on all over the state of Indiana, had a family focus, and told us about activities and events that didn't cost a fortune to participate in.

I miss the religion section.

Well, that's just the start of my list, Jersey. As I said, I could go on and on.

2012-04-14 20:30:13