Copy editor, stat!

Dateline: Mon 24 Oct 2011

As Dick Hopper used to say, this would kill an ordinary desk.

Unbelievable.

Thanks to my friend who picked up on this and sent it.

Comments

indykjsharp [unverified] said:

Went to the link and they've fixed it... the head, which ran for who-knows-how-long and was a "top story" aggregated on Google News was:

bzecINDY24 hed goes here

Wish The Star had a blooper policy like the Broad Ripple Gazette!

2011-10-24 09:23:33

What is the Broad Ripple Gazette's blooper policy? Please enlighten. Thanks.

2011-10-24 18:55:35

I think they reward the finders.

This doens't qualify as a "blooper," but two obits ran on the far-left side of that page for 45 and 50 days, respectively, very recently.

They really got their mloney's worth.

2011-10-24 20:56:27

farm girl [unverified] said:

Several centuries ago, in the age of hot type when things were upside down and backwards, and the Star put out several editions in one night!!! a printer dropped in the slugline by mistake. It was "Old State Bull) (old being the slug, and state and bull being the editions for which it was intended. No harm, except the story was about a really old man getting married...I think, to a younger woman. And in those days the first thing we did when an edition came out was to check it on the desk, so it WAS caught, but of course, several hundred issues were already out by then! I think Dick still has it in his files somewhere...

2011-10-25 08:21:53

howard smulevitz [unverified] said:

Upside down and backwards: Yeah, type was great training for reading stuff on someone's desk! Of course, I didn't need bifocals or trifocals then...(Backwards was easy to get used to in the first place when you had practiced with Hebrew).

2011-10-25 10:42:17

indykjsharp [unverified] said:

The first person to spot and report a typo in the BR Gazette gets a free something from Rene's Bakery.

LOVE the Old State Bull story.

Typos, typos everywhere. Email and texting have dumbed us down. Nobody gives a damn anymore.

2011-10-25 11:38:00

Oh, we do give a damn. Today I found out that the zine where I publish my testing and research is the last survivor in print in its field. And it's because of the quality and veracity of the content. Yes, it's privately held, and not a slave to the next quarterly statement made to Wall Street. I fear for when the owner retires, or sells to another fat publishing house. He's older now, and isn't likely to sell soon.

2011-10-25 20:50:34

indykjsharp [unverified] said:

It's a small typo, but:

My VIew: Duke prudently ran clean-coal project (online today's IndyStar)

just sayin'

2011-10-26 06:36:20

OMG. Duke, up against the wall for numerous heinous crimes, now wants to charge customers for their failures, too. And TheStar lets them get lots of positioning for it.

But IndyStar.Com isn't NetworkWorld.com, where I hang my hat. They aren't running lapdog sycophants of their advertisers. Not once in ten years has anyone ever called me up, emailed me, or even whispered: please do this for an advertiser. Yet they pay me reasonable sums to do research and testing for them. Do they have other paid-advertiser positioning? Sure. But the lines are pretty clear between what's advertiser-sponsored and what's clean editorial and research.

And by the way, clean-coal is an oxymoron. Ain't no such thing as "clean-coal". Even if you wash it with water, it's not clean.

2011-10-26 18:21:42

Hendy: your beef is not with Duke. It's with our limp legislature, which is among America's favorite for power companies. Duke does it because they can, and clearly the consequences are limited at best. Marble Hill only happened once. And while it was happening hundreds of millions flowed through the utilities' favored contractors.

Our utility "regulation" is shameful. Has been such for decades. The revolving door between the commission and utility executive suites is disgusting. They barely try to hide it any more. The recent Duke case has been duplicated dozens of times over the past. A first-year law student would have a field day if he-she simply opened a small file on:

Every utility exec of any kind, 1950-now, who ever worked at the commission.

Year in and year out, utliities spend the most to lobby the Foolish 150. Check gubernatorial campaign finance reports--mostly Republican, but the Dems were guilty to a lesser degree.

The entire commission system has been corrupt. From secretaries to ALJs to commisison members--if you had a utility exec speak up for you, you got the job. Period.
PSI, SIGECO, I&M, IPL, NIPSCO, Duke--they all get what they paid for.

And we get shocked?

2011-10-27 06:48:59

Rita Rose [unverified] said:

Wayyyy back in the day when I was typing TV listings on that flimsy copy paper and then proofreading them after they were linotyped, I caught this typo for The Patty Duke Show, in which two British rock stars (I think it was Chad & Jeremy) were making an appearance: "Patty Pits Wits, Two Brits Hits." Yeah, I kept it!

2011-10-27 11:24:15

farmgirl [unverified] said:

Re: Duke (electric Duke,not Patty):
I was baffled, and continue to be baffled,at how completely brainwashed PSI employees were by Rogers (may he roast in hell) at the Cinergy merger. We tried and tried to tell them it would not end well, but they were bamboozled. Only later, when they started losing jobs, did they realize "Hey, you were right!" I can only hope that Al Barker was one of the bamboozled, because I still kind of like him...

2011-10-27 12:22:25

Terry [unverified] said:

@Rita: Loverly. I have a few bits of linotype tucked into an old type case drawer hanging on a wall with an assortment of mementos. When I became a copy editor, I always felt a kinship with the printers at my various newspapers. We worked well together. Now we also share the same fate: the people on the top floor think they don't need us anymore.

2011-10-28 04:04:29

Rita Rose [unverified] said:

OK, let's try this again:
Wayyyy back in the day when I was typing TV listings on that flimsy copy paper and then proofreading them after they were linotyped, I caught this typo for The Patty Duke Show, in which two British rock stars (I think it was Chad & Jeremy) were making an appearance: "Patty Pits Wits, Two Brits TITS." Yeah, I kept it!

Help! I need a copy editor!

2011-10-30 08:41:38

Rita Rose [unverified] said:

One more:

"Dustin Hoffman ran his finger around the collar of his open shit."

I'm sure I have more tucked away somewhere, but probably not as many as Dick Hopper!

2011-10-30 08:53:06