Leaving for Big D

Dateline: Fri 21 Oct 2011

The surprise resignation of Indianapolis Museum of Art CEO Maxwell Anderson in favor of Dallas -- Dallas! -- was well reported by Cathy Knightlinger in this morning's Indianapolis Star.

Cathy got the money quote.

"(I'm) going to a city that has put culture at the center of its identity," Anderson said.

The IMA's endowment is far healthier, however, reports Knightlinger -- $340 mil here vs. $128 mil there. (But his wife hails from Texas, so that's compelling, too).

Bottom line: Anderson will be in "a community that is well-known for supporting the arts and has a robust cultural scene."

I have not yet read the two sections on sports (with a big take on the Irsays' longevity) in this morning's paper. Guess I need to, since that is where Indianapolis has placed its image and its future.

Comments

B2 [unverified] said:

Ah, another slap at sports.
With all due respect, Ruthie, it's not an either/or with regard to sports and cultural amenities in Indy(and I have season tickets to both the Colts and the ISO).
But I would submit the sports initiative has been a resounding success and has successfully branded our city. It isn't the "cornfield with lights" any longer.
By the way, the Big Ten championship football game will be here in December ($40 mil visitor spending) and the Super Bowl will be here in February ($135 mil visitor spending). That's not a bad thing, you know.

2011-10-21 07:31:17

news junkie [Member] said:

Sports have flourished in Indianapolis because BIG tax dollars have drawn private funds into the mix. When was the last time the CIB anted up millions for anything art related? "On Monday, August 23rd, Mayor Greg Ballard announced that the arts allocation for 2011 would be $1 million. This investment in the arts and cultural community represents level funding from 2010 and is less than 1% of the city's annual budget." That pretty much tells the tale.

2011-10-21 08:48:27

I'll take cornfield with lights, after we're able to tax food in the general area with no qualms, but schools and public services are stanched, the roads are being repaired only because the city sold its largest utility without fixing it, and successfully drove lots of people and business to the suburbs by being economic development idiots.

The visitor spending doesn't go back into the pockets of people that pay the restaurant surcharge. It doesn't go into my back pocket or likely yours, either. It goes into Marriott's pocket, Thomas Caterers, and so forth. A few people that are employed will get a few bucks. And you'll continue to pay the restaurant surcharge, as well as the costs of public safety and capital depreciation-- after all, we're still paying off the evaporated Hooiser Dome and MSA. We're the suckers in the cornfield.

2011-10-21 08:50:38

Citizen X [unverified] said:

I read with interest both the Irsay and Anderson articles. There were some snarky comments for each article. However, the Star disabled the comments on the Irsay piece, leaving the comments open for the Anderson piece. Interesting.

2011-10-21 09:27:58

I've interacted with Max Anderson and his trophy wife many times at local events.

She barely tolerated the locals. Haughty, beautiful, and kinda spooky.

He was somewhat kinder, but overall, seemed to treat us like a temporary stop. Dallas treats their arts better? Really? That's hilarious. It's bigger, but that's about it. Big hair and Aqua-Net.

IMA is a treasure. It has one of the nation's most-healthy endowments, thanks to wonderfully-generous and forward-thinking benefactors.

Most of whom endowed the museum decades ago.

Today's benefeactors have other priorities. Pity.

Go Colts.

2011-10-21 10:21:13

It's my guess that Ms A is driving the move to Dallas, a town more in tune wiith her self image. When the Star did a feature on the remodeled Anderson digs several years ago and noted that lifesize portraits of the young Ms A dominated several rooms, I said to myself, "Self, she will soon be restless for brighter lights and bigger city."

2011-10-21 12:24:10

Butts in seats.

Indianapolis is a spectating town; a lot of sports events to spectate. That is, if you are wealthy enough to be able to afford the $300 tickets and $25 parking and $7.50 hot dogs.

That eliminates most families with children, who are denied the thrill of getting to see their heroes play in the flesh.

I never will forget when, as a Little Leaguer, I walked up the ramp at the old Crosley Field (in Cincinnati) and saw my heroes Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson in those bright red uniforms on the lush green infield grass. And my Dad, a factory worker at the time, didn't have to mortgage our home to afford to give me that experience.

My 8-year-old butt wasn't in a seat. I stood up and cheered through the majority of that Redlegs game.

2011-10-21 12:41:06

I went to Crosley multiple times, too, Whitbeard. My dad loved the Reds. And he too, was a factory worker who saved his pennies to go, but it didn't break the bank.

One special year, we stayed overnight at the Netherland Hilton downtown. While dad and mom went out to get some carry-out food, my sister and I ordered two Cokes from room service. It was $2.50! This was 1962 or so...we were stunned.

We were later admonished to horde our cash for Crosley souvenirs. And the next summer, on a car trip to DC, we stopped off in Pittsburgh to see the Reds play there, and stayed at the old Hotel Webster Hall.

I found the box seat tickets from both excursions a few weeks ago. Our family of four went for a combined $17 in Cincy and $19 in Pitt.

For pro sports these days, I go to the Indians every time I get a chance. Solid entertainment. Tuesday nights are $1 hot dog nights.

Wednesdays are for Pepto.

2011-10-21 16:45:48

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

I view the Andersons' departure with mixed feelings.

Wow! Did Maxwell jazz up the IMA (and it needed the breath of fresh air he brought).

But...they never seemed to "get" Indy, and acted like they were New Yorkers who deigned to live among us for a short while. Not sure Dallas will hold 'em either (Maxwell would rather run the Met).

The nagging question in my mind is: Did Bren Simon stop ponying up the bonus in his salary? Is that why he's leaving?

I hope the search committee comes up with a candidate who actually wants to be the executive in charge of the IMA right where it is, here in the cornfields.

2011-10-21 22:29:28

Cynical: Ms. Simon has her own budget woes these days, but that was hardly the reason. The IMA endowment is flush--the interest and earnings each year could easily handle af ew dozen Anderson bonuses.

Good riddance. They never stopped looking down their noses at us.

Dallas. Cattle Barons' Ball. Aqua Net by the trainload. Yeah, that's classy.

2011-10-22 05:48:57

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

According to the IBJ, Anderson earned $557,882 in salary and other benefits in the 2010 fiscal year.

Obviously, more than half-a-million annually wasn't enough for him.

2011-10-23 00:24:24

I doubt it was all about the money. At that level, it usually isn't.

In Indy, a half-mil is tidy money.

In Dallas, it's a trainload of Miss Ellie Smarmy.

Don't ever forget, it's the same town where an otherwise-unaccomplished George W. Bush used HDM (His Daddy's Money) to purchase a piece of a mediocre baseball team, and he then proceeded to drink his way through a few seasons of not-screwing-it-up-any-worse.

2011-10-24 21:02:20