Hit list

Dateline: Tue 21 Jun 2011

Here is a partial listing of those offed by Gannett today at the Indianapolis Star. Herman Hoggleboggle and Anonymous did the spadework; dirty Gannett did the deed. If anyone knows of any others who lost their careers,  please post in comments.

COPY DESKS

Alan Petersime

LIBRARY/DATABASES
Mike Jesse
Barbara Hoffman

CALENDARS
Steve Slosarek

Comments

One of the axed [unverified] said:

Melanie Hayes, a reporter, was let go, as was Kelly Jones, a paraprofessional.

2011-06-21 20:50:06

Virginia [unverified] said:

I've worked with a few of these talented people over the years and find it hard to believe their names are on this list.

2011-06-21 21:05:23

rockpile1228 [unverified] said:

Are you kidding me? These are good, good people. There's a lot of knowledge and expertise walking out that door. Steve Slosarek? One of the hardest working men I've ever worked with. It's not fair. My thoughts are with all of you. It will take some time, but one day you will be in a better place with a better, more loyal employer. One who appreciates what you do and treats you with respect.

2011-06-21 21:05:51

I'm so sorry for these losses. I'm hoping they can all find jobs.

But--just commenting from personal experience--maybe Miss Becker should find other work. And I hope she does find employment.

2011-06-21 21:17:35

StarNewsie [unverified] said:

Hope Russ and Myrta are happy with their millions ...... and I'll bet only one of them has regrets. Guess which one.

2011-06-21 21:29:12

Marion Garmel [unverified] said:

Unbelievable. Who will put out the paper. These people have been invaluable. Now fewer people will have any kind of city or corporate memory, and all perspective will go by the wayside. Good luck to everyone in finding a better spot.

2011-06-22 07:30:59

Pasquale [unverified] said:

Did I miss somerthing, or was there no mention of this in this morning's newspaper? (Yes, I still get the print edition delivered every day. Crazy.)

2011-06-22 08:02:17

Circling the drain
Not hard to explain
What was once fat and happy
Is now showing its pain.

Monopolies are like kingdoms,
Purchased from the gloat of war
First they believe their propaganda then
Inevitably turn into whores.
This all continues badly, until they close the doors.

2011-06-22 08:24:31

George Stuteville [unverified] said:

Makes me sick to read of this blood-letting. I didn't know a lot of the people who were let go, but I knew some of the more experienced staff.

I am especially grieved about the losses at the library. At one point when it was served by stellar staffers like Barb Hoffman and Mike Jesse, it had to have been one the best reference libraries in the nation. Mike was responsible for envisioning and create the article and reference database. I cannot believe he was tossed. Barb had deep, deep knowledge about events and people and applied a reporter's instinct to her work. Her unseen hand was in many stories published each day.

The same way for the copy desk. How is that paper going to function without Judy Wolf's keen abilities as an editor? Same for Julie, for Scott, Russ and Mike.

These were all behind the scenes people but they were all absolutely crucial in the daily production.

I just cringe thinking about this.

I wish them all the best.

I respect each one of them.

2011-06-22 08:31:47

Rita Rose [unverified] said:

Pasquale, a small 3" mention on the business page, buried under another short.

2011-06-22 08:48:31

Red [unverified] said:

There will be a reckoning. Don't know when, don't know what, but it will happen.

2011-06-22 09:16:21

Ronald Hawkins [unverified] said:

As a fellow journalist, I actually don't feel free to post my feelings about this. Odd, isn't it?

2011-06-22 09:58:34

Ronald Hawkins [unverified] said:

I understand there were massive firings at the Courier-Journal, too. What's the word on the Cincy Enquirer?

2011-06-22 10:26:30

Ronald Hawkins [unverified] said:

2011-06-22 10:26:30

Rebecca Neal [unverified] said:

It looks like Jennifer Gombach and Epha Riche were cut or reassigned. TJ Banes is now moderating on Indy Moms Like Me (what used to be IndyMoms), and the posters are going berserk that Jennifer and Epha were gone and replaced yesterday with no notice or explanation. A friend alerted me to the firestorm over there.

2011-06-22 12:42:19

Rebecca, thank you. I've heard that Jennifer was going to lose that position with IndyMoms; I'm unclear if she is gone or not. I just tried her number; voice mail, and she directed callers to Epha Riche's number, where there was no voice mail. Bad signs.
That Moms Like Me site is not to be trifled with; sounds like some Tiger Moms are talkin'
I appreciate your update....if you hear more, let me know..

2011-06-22 16:04:14