Pooh at the Star

Dateline: Thu 13 Jan 2011

Apparently the Indianapolis Star gets mail with poop in it on a regular basis. When this happens, the security guys or women guards call the cops.

Does the security guard on this detail get extra pay? Or the cops? Because the pooh never makes it to the newsroom. Or does it???

Saw this recently from someone who is keeping tabs:

"Dan Carpenter has gotten two packages of pooh, Matt Tully only 1. So Dan is ahead on the pooh-meter."

Comments

Humph. Build your own joke.

2011-01-13 21:07:15

Soylent Green [unverified] said:

It seems only fair! They throw a pile of it every weekday in my driveway and an even bigger pile on Sunday morning. The difference is I keep paying them to do it. Looks like they are getting their's for free!

2011-01-13 22:50:33

varangianguard [unverified] said:

There seems to be several websites which tout helping one send this kind of message, for a fee.

2011-01-14 05:09:32

Solyent Green, I laughed harder at your name than any in recent weeks. I loved that movie! Somber message, but still, a funny name.

2011-01-14 06:00:30

B2 [unverified] said:

As much as I might disagree with writers or The Star, I find no humor in this.

2011-01-14 08:09:10

B2--come on, it's Friday! In the words of Clairee in Steel Magnolias:

"You gotta lighten up."

Poop in a box on a front porch, or in an envelope, is funny. Unsanitary but funny.

(How did it not, uh....smell?)

2011-01-14 09:35:37

sjudge [unverified] said:

remember the guy who sold pot from the obit desk?

2011-01-14 10:20:41

The denominator sinks, and begs an impolite response, TTT.

2011-01-14 10:43:13

OK Hendy. I get it.

(I think)

I need a drink.

Bloodies!

Where's the tobasco?

2011-01-14 12:22:22

ComputerWheels [unverified] said:

sjudge - no on the obit desk pot. Sounds like a good story - wanna share it?

2011-01-14 13:39:49

VladTheImpaler [unverified] said:

For the sake of Shareholders, Gannett should monetize the considerable amounts of poo it receives. It could be:

1. Diluted with acid and mixed with printing ink to reduce ink purchases
2. Fermented to produce methane and burned by electrical generator to power building
3. Kiln-dried and embossed with Star logo; introduced to Star's merchandise line as eco-friendly paper weight

The first Star employee to successfully deploy stragegy has a rosy future with Gannett.

2011-01-14 17:32:12

Vlad, in keeping with the Gannett re-purposing thought line, they're not "employees."

They're "multiple task cross-trained deployment specialists."

2011-01-15 06:19:50

Who imagined that after all the figurative crap the Star blows out, some literal stuff would come home to haunt?

This is pretty loathsome, tho, deranged statements performed by folks missing major cerebral connections.

2011-01-15 19:23:20

citizenx [unverified] said:

Speaking of pooh....what's with Dan Carpenter's column in the Sunday Star?

2011-01-16 12:39:36

LMAO

Dan took a brilliant shot at local electronic "news." He nailed it. He lives in a bit of a glass house. but hey...the printed his column.

While one page away, Dennis breathlessly tells us about a new education reporter. Seen it before, been there, done that....Spare us, Mr. Milz.

2011-01-16 13:02:45

I just finished reading today's edition. of The Star.

The front-page "expose' on townships was 2000 or so words that went nowhere. There are glaring examples of township waste right here in Marion County, specifically those townships which have surrendered their fire departments but continue to raise too much tax money in their annual budgets. So much that they're giving money away.

So, were these reporters (Evans and Alesia) lazy or edited? For readers, it doesn't really matter much. Yo, Dennis: is anyone reading this drivel before it hits p-1?

This much I know- half the front page and a decent jump page were wasted on a lot of words about this problem, and very little specifics.

2011-01-16 14:48:31

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

And, TTT, note that the nifty new education reporter comes from Dayton. Yet another kid from outside the state who has no idea where the bodies are buried.

2011-01-17 10:06:12

He can find them pretty quickly. On that issue, nobody digs graves very deeply. It's an homage to New Orleans burials--we must be below sea level in the Ocean of Educational Opportunism.

Sometimes, reporters become chummy with their news sources. Andy Gammill's only stumble, as far as I can tell, was the whispers to the IPS spokesperson-on-perpetual-salary Mary Louise. About filimg a meeting last year.

It was a small stumble--he had to sift through much IPS garbage, and, to a lesser extent, the township schools' nonsense. For his entire stint. Absolutely mind-numbing.

Now, Tully is waxing poetic about education in his Manual HS columns. If only he worked that hard on politics.

Ben Cole weeps. Ditto Joe Gelarden, and Ed Z.

For the record: I flashed trough The Sunday Star in less than 30 minutes, and that includes a thorough perusal of the obits.

Sadly, I knew more of the obit subjects this weke than ever before.

God I'm old.

2011-01-17 11:58:37

VladTheImpaler [unverified] said:

Ed Ziegner and Joe Gelarden indeed, TTT. I sure miss those guys. To think of their shallow contemporaries makes me want to puke.

Remember when I was an intern in the 80's and had to tag along with Joe to cover a trial. Joe crossed his arms and started to take a catnap during testimony. When we got back to the shack to crank out the story Joe reminded me of details I'd not noted. Even semi-conscious the dude was a tiger.

2011-01-20 17:35:56