Tom Spalding bails

Dateline: Sat 19 Feb 2011

Indianapolis Star biz reporter Tom Spalding is off to write PR for Rolls Royce.

Spalding is a former Indianapolis Guild prez and formerly covered cops and public safety for a long time.

But he's a family man now; gotta look to the future, which is not at Gannett.

Good luck to you, Tom.

Comments

Ellen McKinney [unverified] said:

rolls-royce long has been known as a class act. so has tom, who fought the good fight for so long under the worst of conditions.

good luck, spaldo!

2011-02-19 19:20:37

Tom is passionate for his beliefs. RR is the winner here.
And Tom is gonna be a classy car guy.

2011-02-19 20:32:12

He just got his first tough assignment: Congress finally wised-up and won't build duplicitous jet engines the Pentagon doesn't want.

Millions gone form Indy, hundreds of jobs, too.

He'll do just fine. Why? Because for the last few years, he's worked from hell, and survived quite well.

Last good journalist ink the building, please turn out the lights, but leave the wire/filler services turned on.

Headed off to church and my weekly Star-Sunday NYTimes pickup. Wonder how log it'll take to read the Sunday Star today.

Longest recent Star read: 25 minutes. Including the coupon scan.

2011-02-20 06:16:22

"Wonder how log it'll take to read the Sunday Star today."

'Bout 15 minutes, including Zits.

2011-02-20 06:50:03

indykjsharp [unverified] said:

I know people take great joy here in trashing what's left of the paper, but if it took you only 15 minutes to read it today, you likely did not pay needed attention to great articles by Erika Smith and Robert King on the deplorable conditions in our inner-city neighborhoods.

2011-02-20 10:14:52

Yeah, I read them, Sharp. 35 minutes total, including coupons. And the obits--alas, I knew a few of them--and the anniversaries. I love the anniversaries. 'Cept now you have to pay for the honor of telling folks you survived 60 years of marriage without murdering your spouse.

Oh yeah,there was a LOT of good Indiana high school basketball coverage. 'Bout damned time.

2011-02-20 12:37:47

"you likely did not pay needed attention to great articles by Erika Smith and Robert King on the deplorable conditions in our inner-city neighborhoods."

Nothing new.

2011-02-20 13:04:49

avonlady [Member] said:

They let top of the crop writers leave and then keep criminals like Thomas Brew. Granted, it's just Sports and not hard, investigative news, but what kind of credibility does Brew have for the readers given his track record for lying and falsifying records for an extended period of time? Where's the trust factor? Who knows if he is not shaking down a current, unknowing employee for future escapades? Plagarizing? Why would the Star take that risk? Trashing what is left of the Star has been self-inflicted and they deserve what criticism comes their way. "I have seen the enemy and we are it."

2011-02-20 13:09:33

OK I missed the whole Brew thing.

Someone please step up.

2011-02-20 17:40:22

Newspapering once was an honored profession. People took pride in identifying themselves as a newspaper reporter, a reporter for the Star or News or Times. Reporters, journalists, had influence.

I wonder if now there isn't a shuffling of feet and shifting of eyes in apology for being from the Star. It's likely an industry affliction, akin to telling folks you are a proctologist.

2011-02-20 20:52:05

Tom Spalding [unverified] said:

Ruth, thanks for the post. I had to make an agonizing decision, and you pegged it correctly: I made a career move for my family. Trying to do the job (a daily pressure cooker with little down time), oversee the Guild, scribble out a still-in-the-works manuscript on 9/11, and run after a 2-year-old boy -- a lot of boiling pots on the stove. Here was my 11-year retrospective of my favorite or memorable stories at the Star-> bit.ly/et7q9k

2011-02-20 23:33:44

citizen x [Member] said:

Please read para 4:

what is up??

2011-02-21 14:56:41

TTT, see December blog entry on Thomas Brew -- pleading guilty to theft. It is in this blog's archives.
Thank you, Tom, for the link to favorite stories. I'm sure your 9/11 coverage is in there; will look in a bit.
As for citizen x, good catch, amazing error. For those of you who don't want to follow the link, 4th graph says Gregg was speaker of the house from 1996 to 2012. Ooppsy doopsy.
OK, mistakes happen; it's not the end of the world. But someone, write a correction, please.

2011-02-21 16:18:01

Now I remember the Brew situation, Ruthie...some sad stuff.

Just wondering--why dredge up that old stuff again? It serves no purpose.

Kinda mean, actually.

2011-02-21 21:41:15

AdolphHitler [unverified] said:

Why would someone want to leave the Star? It's the best newspaper in town.

2011-02-22 17:52:50

I might even agree, IF I could get mine delivered daily and read it daily to pass judgment. Delivery issues are responsible for a lot of circulation loss. Gannett seems to have forgotten about this aspect of service.
In fairness, however, I got two papers today....
And yes, I know I can go online. It's just not the same for some of us.

2011-02-22 20:00:41

When I was younger, paper routes were prized possessions. They were passed via an apprentice program, whereby younger carriers learned the ropes from a senior carrier. The "intern" was called a "snapper." He helped roll the paper, put a rubber band around it, etc.

You could lose your route--and your pocket money--if you didn't properly serve customers. Even the cranky ones.

A frightful older lady named Kleig ran the carrier system. She was hell on earth. A Marlboro constantly hanging from her mouth, exactly like the acting coach Zelda on "Will and Grace." You were fine with Kleig unless she got a customer complaint.

Then, she would bring down the heavens to chew you out.

Result?

I inherited a route from a guy who went off to college in a nice car--paid by his two paper routes. I passed it on to a cousin five years later when I went to college.

Kleig died at her desk the day my freshman collegiate year started. Phone in hand, taking a subscriber complaint, and Marlboro in her mouth. Her 66-year-old single sister inherited that job.

Sorry for the nostalgia. I started typing and it all washed back. Nothing to see here. Move along.

2011-02-23 11:44:37