Melina Kennedy wants it too much

Dateline: Sun 28 Aug 2011

Jim Shella reported on WISH-tv (Channel 8) this past week that Ms. Kennedy already has resorted to negative campaigning in her effort to knock Greg Ballard out of his mayor's perch in Indianapolis. The election, fyi, is in November. Looong sniping season.

Kennedy, a Dem, is blaming Ballard for the state of education in Indy. Huh? Say, again?

Ballard, meanwhile, is running an ad that starts off with the affable Republican/ex-Marine/accidental Mayor (thanks, Shella) saying, "Everyone knows I don't care about politics." Low-key, sincere, honest. Hard to argue with that.

To quote the former political writer for the Indianapolis Star, Patrick Traub, also a Dem, or he used to be: "What's not to like about Ballard? And the last thing I want  in office is another Evan Bayh clone."

A good friend, who also tips Dem, said, "I think Mayor Ballard really loves this city."

Me, too.

Comments

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Ruthie: you've got to be kidding.

If Mayor Ballard really loved Indy, he wouldn't have placed it on the road to ruin through cronyism.

Paying off his contributors with lucrative contracts, selling city assets for decidedly short-term gain and bowing to Super Bowl hype, etc., isn't at all what we expected when we elected him.

2011-08-28 09:58:31

jersey [unverified] said:

One of the first things that Ballard did as Mayor was to hold a "Welcome Home" event at the downtown war memorial for Viet Nam vets...
Despite being much more liberal than conservative in my views, that has always stayed with me in my opinions of him.

2011-08-28 14:12:24

Gale30Kelley [unverified] said:

A lot of specialists say that <a href="http://bestfinance-blog.com/topics/credit-loans">credit loans</a> aid people to live the way they want, because they can feel free to buy necessary things. Furthermore, various banks offer bank loan for different classes of people.

2011-08-28 21:48:18

Paul K. Ogden [unverified] said:

I have to agree with Ms. Cynical and am shocked by Ruth. I am a Republican and there's been nothing to like about this administration. The tax/fee increases, the cronyism, the corporate welfare, the reckless spending...Ballard has taken it all to new heights.

Did Ruth forget about the $33.5 bmillion of our dollars going to the Pacers thanks to Ballard? Or the 50 year parking meter contract with politically-connected ACS. Or the $6 million going to build a parking garage in Broad Ripple, which we then are going to turn around and give away (along with the revenue) to Keystone Construction. Did she forget about the fact Barnes & Thornburg all but run this adminstration using it to enrich themselves and the firm's clients.

Ballard has betrayed all of us who supported him in 2007.

2011-08-29 02:44:15

I understand your view, Ruthie.

I just hope to hell you're wrong. His election was a fluke. His re-election would be an awful signal to the worst tendencies among those who curry favor with their checkbooks, because it's worked well for them in the past 3.5 yers. When that happens, neighborhoods and common folk lose.

His globe-trotting is embarrassing.

Jersey: I have it on good authority, that the Mayor gravy-trained that veterans' event. Athough I'm sure his intentions were sincere. I don't doubt his love of veterans.

Melina is an unconventional candidate: I'll give you that. The education focus is strange, but perhaps it'll pay off. Surely she has polling that backs up her tenor.

And Paul is spot-on. His budget shell-game is disgusting. The water and meter deals were insultingly self-serving (for his "friends"), as are multiple development deals: zoning is for sale. His pandering to the far-right over the ridiculous Gay Pride Parade mess was just embarrassing to watch. Plus, one more thing he forgot:

Under the incumbent mayor, key appointees have developed this veneer of chutzpah that is unmatched in my lifetime. I've interacted with several on neighborhood and related issues. To say they're mean would be an understatement. Rude, condescending, under-informed...I could go on.

And the strange fact is, they act like they're backed up by this whiz-kid mayor with tons of political power and cerebral policies.

Worse than Goldsmith at his most-egotistical. I'm not kidding.

And for that alone, he has to go.

2011-08-29 06:18:11

Greg Wright [unverified] said:

Melina should run for school board.

2011-08-29 07:30:59

Paul K. Ogden [unverified] said:

Yes, Greg, and Ballard shouldn't run for a second term. One is more than enough.

2011-08-29 08:01:29

Farmgirl [unverified] said:

I live in the suburbs and am not particularly affected and can't vote in there anyway, but if all this is true, why isn't it out there for people to know and see? Maybe the Star does not, after all, deserve any kind of prize. (See the blog ahead.)

2011-08-29 08:21:26

John M [unverified] said:

Greg Ballard is running for a second term as mayor of Indianapolis. If he didn't "care about politics," then he wouldn't have run the first time, let alone the second time. And you find a declaration of this supposed indifference, a declaration made in a campaign commercial, for goodness's sake, sincere and honest? Give me a break. Greg Ballard is, by definition, a politician. That he isn't particularly good at the speaking and schmoozing aspects of being a politician doesn't make him apolitical.

I say this with a smile and affection, Ruth, but your susceptibility to this folksy nonsense makes it easier to understand how you voted for GWB twice.

2011-08-29 09:47:03

"Maybe the Star does not, after all, deserve any kind of prize. (See the blog ahead.)"
_________________

I agree with you Farmgirl.

Only kind of prize they deserve is for being knuckleheads; cheerleaders for the Power Elite and the professional sports corporations.

2011-08-29 12:19:06

I love ya more than my lluggage, Ruthie, buy John M has got ya.

It's about the Mayor's record. Which, by any normal standard, sucks. Unless you're a bbig law firm or bog campaign donor.

Ane here's another rub: it's not like these stupid decisions are short-term. He's handcuffing future mayors mightily with the Sell-the-Future schemes which line the pockets of the favored class.

In the case of the parking meters, we possess the bond rating and experience to have bonded those improvements ourselves.

In the case of the water company, the proceeds are being used for improvements that are, by technical standards, 4-7 years in duration.

It's just silly.

2011-08-29 12:45:41

Ballard's seeming affable baffoonery is actually the embodiment of amateur good old boy politics at its finest. He knows what he's doing. And he's an amateur.

Peterson was pretty stupid, too, but was better than this empty suit of a mayor. This is status quo stuff. White guys behaving badly, pimping the city for the SuperBowl while selling its assets off to a 501c3 that'll go bankrupt in ten years time because the problem is bigger than they are. All while the downtown turns into the worst parts of Chicago (parking) and the decay of the city's infrastructure becomes worse.

Ballard is an accidental major, who gained office in a backlash over the inane stupidity and malfeasance of the Indiana Legislature, who in turn, was found guilty of screwing up property tax law, who were in turn, trying to fix school funding, while preserving their homestead base tax rates. Bah.

If Kennedy goes negative, she'll fail. Ellsworth failed, and others failed because of this. Her campaign manager needs to shake her HARD and NOW to prevent losing big time in the Fall. She's doing amateur campaigning. She can hold her head high and win.... if she has the guts. Negative campaigns are really foolish in Indiana. Strong messages can be heard, but the ears shut down when it's dissing the other campaigner, no matter who he/she is.

We need a non-partisan winner, someone with the city's interests at heart, not cronyism. Someone with a sense of the city's soul and not its testosterone/sports prowess.

2011-08-29 12:45:54

farmgirl [unverified] said:

A year or so ago I was waiting for my husband at a barbershop and read an article in Indianapolis Monthly that Ballard won because a woman who ran an S-M business out of her home was ticked off with Peterson for trying to shut her down, and so campaigned vigorously for Ballard.
Interesting as the possible ramifications of this were, I dismissed at the time, but now am beginning to wonder if, after all, the sleaze factor might not have elected him. Lord knows there is plenty of that going around....

2011-08-29 13:01:25

indykjsharp [unverified] said:

@farmgirl: Melyssa???

2011-08-29 20:29:50

Oh, Farmgirl.....that's not what the magazine article said at all.

Yeah, it was Melyssa, who had a legitimate beef with the rudeness she encountered. But technically, she was operating a "business" in her home. I could be wrong, but I think she sought business permitting, and was denied...after she was cited.

And for the record, she wasn't sleezy. She is a Dominatrix. She claims no sex was performed--just good old-fashioned domination, in the privacy of her home. I guess some men need to be paddled once in a while. It's probably sexist, because if the roles were reversed, we'd likely cry "foul" .

Kinnky? By some standards, yeah. Illegal? No.

She did help lead the first property tax protest, and stayed active in that movement. But she was hardly alone. She worked her ass off, but so did others.

She directed her anger at the Peterson administration because they treated her very badly in this zoning kerfuffle. And because of rising property taxes. To which the mayor contriburted in a very small way.

But he was on the ballot.

Ergo, the Accidental Mayor.

2011-08-30 04:47:22

B2 [unverified] said:

Like him or not, at least Ballard had the gumption to get off his duff and run for Mayor, unlike the multitude of know-it-all sideline critics who'd rather pick the city apart from the the safety of a blog post than actually get in the game.

2011-08-30 07:44:58

farmgirl [unverified] said:

@indykjsharp. Nope
@TTT: Well, it was a long time since I read the article, but I did have a hard time, being a somewhat strait-laced Midwesterner, summoning much sympathy for the dominatrix. And kind of hated to see she (apparently) had that much influence.
But, it still might say something about Ballard supporters...unless, as you say, it was just that it was his name on the ticket.
I actually had occasion to interview him recently. I've done a lot of interviewing and can usually wheedle something good out of a chat, but not this time...

2011-08-30 10:20:21

Scott [unverified] said:

Ballard lost my vote when he gave the Pacers $30 million dollars from a CIB that was bankrupted by Fred Glass/Bart Peterson's crazy stupid Colts stadium deal.

This deal just opened up a flood gate of ill advised deals such as selling the water company for pennies on the dollar instead of dealing with it's very serious problems, or having taxpayers completely bankroll a speculative North of South retail development that no bank would touch with no paying anchor tenants signed up, or signing a 50 year parking lease that gives most profits to politically connected ACS instead of using TIF funds for upgrades and keeping 100% of the revenue for taxpayers.

2011-08-31 12:27:50