Not quite dead yet

Dateline: Thu 04 Aug 2011

I am working hard earning a living, which blogs do not provide. At least not this blog, since the interwebs are free in the spirit in which this blog was created.

Several items sent by readers will be dealt with this weekend, along with the new, outrageously high price of obits at Gannett, when I finally get a break from child-care (which I think is now called, in P.C. jargon, child partnership).

Those of you who are checking the status of this blog, thank you very much.

I have not deserted. I am just a hard-working stiff whose creative juices are dried up by evening.

But I am not quite dead yet, nor is this blog.

Hang in there. In this economy, that's all we can do.

(And if you are a richie, more power to you. My wad is blown, but my enthusiasm is intact....so here's to dying and living with enthusiasm).

Comments

news junkie [Member] said:

Glad all is well or as well as can be expected.

2011-08-04 20:20:06

Grandchild care, while sometimes challenging, is richly rewarding. God takes care of childrne, idiots and baby-sitting grandparents.

It's in Leviitucs or somewhere.

2011-08-04 21:26:11

Dear Ruth,

You have an outstanding blog, but I certainly understand the distractions and diversions......a la, bills to be paid, grandkids to be loved and hugged, etc.

As I have written before, it's all gravy for numbskull stiffs like me who enjoy your writing and enjoy blowing off steam in commenting on your posts.

You're the best, Ruth. Bless your heart. Again, it's all gravy. Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this blog.

Thanks also to the tremendously intelligent folks who are regular contributors with their comments.

Old half-dead Whitebeard

2011-08-04 22:00:05

What? You have to do life??? The shame....

2011-08-05 09:57:25

Jason [unverified] said:

Good to hear you're still kicking. I haven't checked in for a while, and I need to thank you for closing comments on the previous thread.

That would have been 20 minutes of typing I never could have gotten back.

I would like to belatedly, and extra-threadly, add to Whitebeard's previous comments that this is one of the very few blogs where people disagree and it's still an interesting conversation, no, a great conversation that's always well worth the time. Oftentimes the unpopular comments (and commenters) aren't run out of town, they're engaged with just enough enthusiasm to get the point across without making it too personal. It's a combination of traits unbelievably rare in blogs, particularly those that delve into politics.

2011-08-05 21:28:32

What Jason said. Double.

2011-08-06 05:53:56

Good points Jason.

I only post on two blogs - this one and one operated by one of my best friends.

The dialogue that I see going on with other blogs is, in a word, toxic.

A person states an opinion. Then, the following commenters take turns pitching darts at that person like they are some kind of big human dartboard.

I enjoy reading all of the comments here. I may not agree with all that is said, but I find that the positions people take that I disagree with (particularly conservative - smile) are intelligent and informative.

Once again, thank you Ruth for all you do here.

2011-08-06 12:14:17

The free safe bunch is likely the same snake oilers that offer the "free room heater" if you buy an Amish-made mantle. The ad art shows "Amish" craftsmen working in their shop with woodworking tools.

The chutzpah of this ad, and the free safe ad, beggers the imagination! It is comically bogus. But-- good god-- it must work because these ads have appeared more than once in the Star and thus are important to the revenue stream.

I don't imagine Ryerson is eager to have to look too closely at ad content, much less veracity.

2011-08-08 09:07:33

Can't imagine how the above ended up here, since I intended it to respond to the "free safe" discussion....

2011-08-08 12:04:36