Cowardly custard

Dateline: Thu 16 Sep 2010

Matt Tully, the Indianapolis Star columnist, had a particularly hard-hitting column Tuesday about Marvin Scott's perpetual run at political office; the Butler University prof, a conservative and an R, is challenging Rep. Andre Carson.

Tully called Scott "incredibly un-credible" and kicked off by saying, "If there is a worse candidate than Marvin Scott, I haven't found him."

The best part, though, was in reference to Scott's now-resigned volunteer campaign manager Stan Solomon, who bowed out after making typically ridiculous comments on Twitter: "Gay stands for Got AIDS Yet" and another insult that caught up both gays and Catholics.

Thanks to the blog Bilerico for reporting initially on Solomon's typically inane tirades (if you don't know it, Solomon is a longtime radio hack. whose career grows more obscure and odd each year).

I had received a message re: all this Sunday from my friend Wilson Allen, who is closely aligned with Andre Carson's campaign. Allen's message:

"GOP Congressional candidate Marvin Scott's campaign manager, Stan Solomon, twittered: 'U should not allow queers around kids ' 'Gay stands for Got AIDS Yet ', 'Queer judge says queers can marry Surprize ', ' Homosexuality is wrong & dangerous to everyone '"

Maybe it's a cheap shot, but one has to wonder about Solomon's long queer bias; perhaps he's got a touch of gayness? A young friend suggested this, after hearing about how Stan does go on....obsessively...

Obviously, Marvin Scott is a fool for ever hooking up with Solomon -- and for lots of other reasons, too, as Tully pointed out.

But Scott did give us one memorable quote out of this whole mish-mash: when asked about the Tweets on Twitter, he was quoted as saying, "I don't know Twitter from litter."

Perhaps he should quitter.

Comments

WilsonRedux [Member] said:

With 714 tweets to his name, DrMarvinScott might not be exactly truthful about anything at all !

2010-09-16 09:49:58

I'm actually proud of Tully. Although stating the obvious isn't especially courageous, it's nice to see him point it out, and plainly. Andre is becoming more than Julia's son, and he strikes a strong cord in his district. Dr Scott, by contrast, seems like a profoundly weak candidate, all things considered.

2010-09-16 11:00:56

Superb post, Ruthie. Tongue firmly planted in cheek, huh?

Hendy: FYI, Andre is Julia's grandson. I can't entirely tell from your post whether you know that or not.

And he is working harder as an MC, earning the district's trust more regularly. I opposed his original candidacy, because I thought others in the original race were more-qualified. I was right then, but Andre's grown into the job. Frankly, of all the candidates, he was easily the least-qualified, by any reasonable measure. And I attended that original caucus at Shortridge. It felt rigged to the max. Was it actually? I don't relaly know. But, the voters spoke. He's won me over, and most others, too. Having the right last name helped him tremendously. At the outset. But he's earned most of his street cred since he got the job.

I'm with ya on Tully. He uncharacteristically wrote a strongly-worded column that was spot-on. Stan Solomon has been first-class nutso for years...how he ever got a radio talk show is beyond me. Except, perhaps, shock value, which, too foten, in radio, equates to audience share.

Shame on Dr. Scott for not checking more-closely regarding Mr. Solomon's pedigree, or lack thereof.

2010-09-16 11:15:14

Matt Stone [unverified] said:

Actually, the quote is "I don't know Twitter from jitter."

And his Tweets on his DrMarvinScott account all say "from Facebook." Wilson knows full well that Robert Croddy runs that. Of course, that doesn't mean Mr. Scott isn't responsible for the content that appears. He most certainly is responsible, since these accounts are official accounts linked to on his campaign web site.

2010-09-16 11:25:10

TTT-- you're right. Grandson. And I don't think he's worried.... unless Scott gets a Tea Party endorsement.

2010-09-16 19:34:53

me [unverified] said:

ahh ruth, so, as a journalist and a story not an editorial, tully was right to author tht story. Tully was doing so well, now, his opinion has to be our opinion. Tully lost me on this one...the star and news did along time ago. R u trying to get ur job back at the star. Oh well, at least this is ur site...and you can say and do as you please. I do respect that.

2010-09-16 23:12:08

varangianguard [unverified] said:

Marvin Scott "hooked up" with Stan Solomon?

That made me laugh. Nice, Ruth! ;)

2010-09-17 04:03:50

OK. I missed the "hook up" line. And I just threw up in my mouth a little...

2010-09-17 06:05:48

Free Wordpress Themes [unverified] said:

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

2010-09-25 05:26:17