In the works

Dateline: Thu 21 Oct 2010

Out of commish for the next couple days with eye surgery.

But this is what's being processed:

A look and review at Dick Cady's memoir: "Deadline: Indianapolis The Story Behind the Stories At the Pulliam Press." Great book and a must-read for anyone who has ever worked at the Indianapolis Star, especiallly during the time when Star reporters Cady and the late Bill Anderson and Harley Bierce pulled down a Pulitzer for investigating corruption in the Indianapolis Police Department. All the characters are there -- Bo Connor, Morty Dock, Frank Caperton and Myrta Pulliam, among others. You can buy the book yourself from Amazon, or you can contact Dick, as I did, and buy directly from him. Get yourself an education; find out what a "fruit broad" is -- I learned something.

The Department of Natural Resources is planning a hearing Nov. 16 on pen hunting of coyotes and foxes in Indiana.  This is a popular past-time in southern states; dogs are turned loose on coyotes and foxes in penned areas in order to hunt them to the death, or not. Don't we have better things to do, Hoosiers? Phil Bloom, director of communications for DNR, has addressed this issue from the state's perspective. The other side will come from Cecelia Lambert (CeeAnn Lambert) who runs the Indiana Coyote Rescue Center in Bringhurst, Ind. Having lived in rural Putnam County for a time, I learned a little bit about the callousness of many hunters towards coyotes, and often thrilled to the coyote cries of a night. They are amazing animals, and they are not a food source. So, why? Read all about it.

Plenty on paywalls, thanks to links you all have sent.

Indianapolis Public Schools' plan to go year-round. Time for a spirited debate.

Thank you and best.

Comments

Jason [unverified] said:

LOL@fruit broad. Worth the price of admission alone.

2010-10-21 01:52:57

I figured if anyone would know, you would. Have you read the book yet?

2010-10-21 06:02:13

Using dogs to hunt confined coyotes is barbaric. Often the yotes are disabled and then used for training the dogs. This is no sport and anybody who thinks confined shoots are actually hunting is a complete wanker.

I live in the country, the yotes are all around me, and they have attacked one of my dogs. But I don't harbor any animosity to these smart, attractive animals.

I continue to be mystified by the confined hunting protectionist group, which purports that shooting tame deer and other game is somehow sporting. For the state to enable this barbarity is a travesty.

And yes, I am a gun owner and target shooter.

2010-10-21 07:12:36

I'm getting the book. Thanks for the tip .Cady is an interesting bloke. Fruit broad. Ziegner had a few interesting phrases too. He rode with a COngressman, some other staffers and me one whole day a few years ago. I've re-lived that day hundreds of times.

Coyote "hunting" in pens? Why does the state have to get involved in this? It's one step above Michael Vick-style dog fights.

Sometimes humans aren't the smarter creatures on God's earth. (sigh) Some pretty sick bastards out there. I just don't want the state sanctioning this behavior. Why did they venture down this path? Is there a ton of money in it? Is the coyote population overwhelming Indiana? If so, humane trapping and hunting, as they do with deer.

2010-10-21 07:33:54

varangianguard [unverified] said:

I leave for work rather early and saw a rather well-fed looking specimen standing in a field near the edge of the road. Big as a healthy German Shepherd. Makes me wonder if the coyote-wolf crosses have trudged here from the northeast already? I wish they would hunt deer. Maybe they do.

I don't mind coyotes, as long as they aren't munching my animals or plants. So far, only squirrels, rabbits, possums and the occasional mole in my yard.

2010-10-21 07:40:53

"Big as a healthy German Shepherd."

These are Coydogs, the result of some midnight wandering by fertile dogs and 'yotes. They tend to be bigger than coyotes, and with less fear of people. They can be worse news than coyotes, especially if they hook up with a wild dog pack. (And these are likely becoming more numerous, as people abandon their dogs in greater numbers.)

I think it will be a great joke on the human race to discover that animals have a vote on our passage to The Next Place: where we go will depend in some measure on how we treated animals in our lifetime.

And I will order Cady's book tomorrow. Been waiting for it for years.

2010-10-21 11:37:59

Jason [unverified] said:

I'll be ordering the book as well. All hail Amazon.

I've grown accustomed to seeing coyotes everywhere. And foxes, too. Not out in the country, either, but well within city limits. I think they've learned to keep a low profile.

2010-10-22 01:10:45

Mama coyote [unverified] said:

The reasons the DNR is taking the stand for legal dogfighting using our wildlife, is to appease the IN Beaglers Alliance, the NRA and mostly the trappers who sell their live trapped coyotes and foxes to the running pens. The DNR says the intent is not to harm the animals. Whatever the intent is, coyotes and foxes are being killed in the pens in the running pen states. I don't see any proof that Indiana Dog Runners are any different. They enjoy bloodsport and have used the pens to get around the dog fighting laws. I have no idea why watching a pack of dogs kill Hoosier wildlife is any different than watching dog fighting.

2010-10-22 12:32:41

It isn't, Mama. It's idiotic and DNR should be ashamed.

2010-10-22 21:40:47

Karma and good thoughts on the peepers, Ruthie. What kind of surgery--cataract? I had that done two years ago. The vision is better, but now I've got these damned "floaters." Looks like there's a hair in my eye half the time. I traded blurs for hairs.

Damn it's hell to get old.

2010-10-23 09:14:59

"The reasons the DNR is taking the stand for legal dogfighting using our wildlife, is to appease the IN Beaglers Alliance, the NRA and mostly the trappers who sell their live trapped coyotes and foxes to the running pens."

I hate to think the NRA, of which I am a member, would countenance penned hunting. The bona fide hunters I know, a couple of them hunting on my land, think canned hunting and coyote baiting is conducted by men who should not be left alone in the company of children.

Trapping is a cruel and archaic practice that makes no economic sense any longer, and does not feed any mouths.

2010-10-23 21:20:18

Tom: I looked all over the NRA website and couldn't find an exact position paper on canned hunting. But at a legislative rally two or three years ago, their midwest director told me and a friend, that NRS, when forced, supports owners of canned hunting facilities. On the premise that anyone should, be allowed to permit hunting on their private property.

How twisted is that? He had a very pained look on his face, like he'd just swallowed vinegar or something.

2010-10-24 05:49:44

**NRA not NRS

2010-10-24 14:28:04

I wonder. People have pets, and know about the spirit that animals have. Animal habitat is constantly encroached upon, yet people believe that there's something important about their ability to use a crossbow or even a bullet against animal targets- at random.

Can someone explain to me the disconnection when people will own and nurture a puppy or kitten, then eat veal for dinner?

2010-10-24 14:40:15

It's easy, Hendy. Certain animals and fish are bred or are natural for consumption. I wish some of them were better-maintained during their pending executions. In some cases, it's pretty disgusting. In the case of veal, sometimes it's beyond disgusting.

It's our culture.

Visit another one. I was in India 10 years ago. They eat dogs and worship cows. Right outside urban areas, folks live in refrigerator boxes and raw sewage floats in the gutters.

I came to one conclusion: in our culture, we're able to afford the luxury of separating domestic from consumption animals. We're not quite able to fully explain that "care" issue, but:

Neither are other cultures.

And so it goes.

2010-10-25 05:27:04

I recommend a book called "A Dog's Purpose."

I'm not crazed over meat. I love bacon but regret it comes from smart, clever animals who are treated badly in the end. And that is my disconnect with the meat-- and poultry-- industries: the common treatment of their product is inhumane, brutal and unnecessarily callous.

If lardasses of the world have to spend a buck or two more on a JumboBurger because the animals are treated more humanely, let it happen. And so on through the entire food chain. Americans have avoided paying (justifiably)higher prices for food in part because of the cheap and grim treatment of food animals as they go to slaughter.

2010-10-25 08:01:29

For those that have pets, birds, guinea pigs, dogs, cats, even reptiles, the knowledge that these animals have personalities means that we become close to them and their feelings. Non-"domesticated" animals have the same sentience, lives to lead, things to eat. And they have personality-- if you'll forgive anthropomorphizing. We have a commonality with beasts small and large.

We have feed lots, cramped cages, and despicable living conditions for animals bred for food. How are these animals different than pets in terms of their commonality with people? Where is the non-violence that Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and others taught us? How did we go along with that-- because we're sheltered at the supermarket by a display of a steak, not knowing where that animal lived, how they were treated, what they were forced to eat, the circumstances of their death?

At this point in my soliloquy, there's the inevitable joker that comes along and says: but what of the feelings of plants? It's been my long temptation to deck that SOB. But then I remember being a boneheaded teenager myself, once.

2010-10-25 09:43:43

Hendy, I learned a new word today. Anthropomorphizing.

Damn it's a brave new world.

2010-10-25 10:36:24

"And they have personality-"

Indeed they do, hendy. Each of my four dogs have personalities as different as their physical composition: a pathologically shy English Mastiff that I found living under a tree in our yard; a morose black Lab that was shot and found in a snowbank; a lively Walker coondog that was abandoned in our woods; and a needy, affectionate, funny Australian shepherd mix that a family surrendered.

Barnyard animals likewise have personalities. Pigs are the most clever of them-- smart, and they can be affectionate. Unfortunately for them, though they are much more intelligent than horses, they are destined to be food.

2010-10-25 21:28:17

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Getting back to Cady's book: I started it last evening and had a hard time putting it down.

Now, he does need an editor (there were some narrative glitches that cried out for fixin'), but the yarn is riveting.

Yeah, I was there, but I didn't know the half of it.

Can't wait to read more!

2010-10-30 11:55:57

russ [unverified] said:

from one who was there Cady's book restores many lost memories. . . and is riveting. I wonder just what editing Ms. Cynical had in mind. The book was edited by several professionals.

2010-10-30 23:26:39

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

I've noticed a couple of insignificant factual mistakes, some awkward references to characters previously introduced in the narrative. That kind of thing.

Really, nothing significant. Just niggling stuff that a really good copy editor would have caught.

2010-10-31 12:59:27