More author notes

Dateline: Tue 30 Nov 2010

Dick Cady will have a book signing this Saturday Dec. 4 at the Indiana Historical Society in the Eli Lilly Hall History Center. This is part of the annual Holiday Author Fair; you can mix it up with Dick and 74 or so other authors from noon to 4 p.m. If any other former Star writers are at this event, please advise.

Dick was a columnist, investigative reporter, city editor and investigative reporter bar none at the Indianapolis Star during a career that spanned three decades or so. His book is "Deadline: Indianapolis," which is a look at the stories behind the Pulliam Press empire, also is available thru Amazon.com

Also, a warning from those who recently have attended events at the Historical Society, located at 450 West Ohio Street. It's going to cost you $7 to park in their lot, unless you are a member of the society. Some of us take exception to this price gouging. Thanks to the blog reader who tipped me.

Another book signing -- John Hawn, whose pseudonym is JL Kato, will have a book launch/signing party at 2 p.m. Sunday Dec. 12 at Bookmamas, 9 Johnson Avenue (across the street from Lazy Daze Coffee in Irvington).

"Shadows Set in Concrete." is collection of poetry, is $12 from Restoration Press.

John, a former Star copy desk chief in features and beyond, advises that Facebook made him choose the psudonym Jayel Kato because they won't allow initials only.  I wondered if he'd changed his fake name to another fake name when I posted earlier on our very own Japanese Lutheran newspaperman poet; I now stand corrected.

Comments

varangianguard [unverified] said:

So many good books, so little time.

2010-11-30 10:05:58

Ray Boomhower [unverified] said:

The $7 charge is not for parking, but for entry into the IHS's Indiana Experience, which includes a number of exhibitions on the Hoosier state's past. The admission will get you into the Holiday Author Fair. Parking is free in the lot off of New York Street with your paid admission. IHS members receive free admission.

Other former Star/News reporters at the Author Fair include Nelson Price, Abe Aamidor, and Fred Cavinder.

2010-11-30 12:20:57

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

The IHS gets major kudos for hosting this event. That it costs $7 to get in (AND park) is a small price to pay for meeting 75 Indiana authors AND the chance to tour the boffo new experiential exhibits in the Indiana History Center!

2010-11-30 14:36:48

rath [unverified] said:

I see that Ray brought you up-to-date on Star authors who will sign Saturday. If you try to check on the Author Fair on the internet, it;s not been updated. You can see who was to sihn there last year. . . or the year before.
A couple of Star stalwarts of the past have been hospitalized. Dick Roberts had a stroke and is recuoerating at the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana. Bo Connor took a spill and was hospitalized overnight.

2010-11-30 16:18:54

Thank you, each of you, for the correction and update and info. Dick Cady emailed me this afternoon, saying he thought the event had free parking.
I called the historical society, and the nice woman who answered phones also answered all my questions. FYI, if you are 60 or older, you can get in for $6.50.
Ray, thanks for clearing all this up and mentioning the other authors.
You guys also can go to the historical society website and download the brochure for this event, which lists all the authors.
Quite impressive.

2010-11-30 18:23:06

Also, Rath, thank you for informing us about Dick and Bo. I did not know.
As Cady said to me, quoting an uncle, referencing my corneal transplants, "they didn't tell us when they referred to the golden years that they meant rust."
Or words to that effect. He can correct me.

2010-11-30 18:43:54