From the Indianapolis Star

Dateline: Mon 15 Feb 2010

“My decision was not motivated by political concern,” he added. “Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election.”

"But running for the sake of winning an election, just to remain in public office, is not good enough," Bayh said. "And it has never been what morivates me. At this time I simply believe I can best contribute to society in another way: creating jobs by helping grow a business, helping guide an institution of higher learning or helping run a worthy charitable endeavor."

That's from Mary Beth Schneider's reporting in today's Star.

But...he wasn't confident of chances for re-election. That's obvious.

Incidentally, Republican Dan Coats is hiring people to work for $50 a day to sign up voters just to get Coats' name on a petition, so that Hoosiers can vote for him.

Coates, a former senator, may not be a perfect candidate -- the Star did a credible job of detailing his baggage as a lobbyist in Sunday's story by Bill Ruthart -- but Bayh, as an incumbent who has failed at times to deliver the goods for President Obama, possibly has even more baggage.

Comments

varangianguard [unverified] said:

He's fishing for a new job already!

Since he probably couldn't grow a job if his life depended on it, I guess it's Universities or Charities for him. Maybe Pat Bauer can get him on at Ivy Tech? That seems to be a good gig for politicos.

2010-02-15 11:15:28

Obama administration appointee in the making.

2010-02-15 11:50:05

Ellen McKinney [unverified] said:

wish i thought that bayh's dropping out meant that a REAL democrat could win.

as for dan coats, he's a carpetbagging lobbyist -- just what we need. NOT!

2010-02-15 12:17:58

Bayh drops out and Coats is now the favorite.

Two non-choices; now down to one.

No wonder most of the young people I know have little interest in "politics."

2010-02-15 15:41:12

Bayh dropping out may have unintended consequences, including:

Maybe a qualified Dem candidate would run (though filing is a problem), who could beat Coats.

Maybe MD would run, and win.

Maybe Burton will run.

Coats' lobbying and residency history may also not be as big a setback as some suppose. At least he wasn't one of the elected dicks that brought our financial house to such ruin.

2010-02-15 17:09:50

Homer [Member] said:

Evan Bayh resurrected the Indiana Democratic Party. He won five statewide elections. He brought men and women into government service who have become leaders. He steered the state through a recession. Please, Ellen McKinney, define a "REAL Democrat."

2010-02-15 18:56:34

Homer, as a member of that party, I'll contribute my 2c worth.

1. How nice that he put people into office to do good work. That's required.

2. He among the most conservative Democrats that have been elected to Congress. He is largely indistinguishable from most Republicans in my estimation.

3. The state worked its way out of one recession into another, thanks to Bayh's lemmings-like march behind Bush et al into Iraq. We, the people of Indiana, worked damn hard to get out of the recession. Look where we are now.

4. Evan is not his father. We send people to Washington to do the job for Hoosiers. Not many of them, including Evan Bayh, do that job. Where has Bayh been when we needed someone to campaign for Jill Long? Where was Bayh during congressional campaigns? Where was Bayh when Congress voted on Bush's insane constitutional liberties obstructions, like the Patriot Act? At least he wasn't playing golf.

This man wears the badge of Democrat in ways that make those that seek social justice cringe.

2010-02-15 20:29:08

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Tom Greenacres posits Burton for senator? Now, there's a scary thought!

But, then, that candidacy would prove that only crazy, stupid people want to run for public office any more!

As for Bayh: is IvyTech in his future? What other higher ed position is open in Indiana? Or is he, like Coats, a Virginian now?

2010-02-15 22:30:13

Hendy said it all.

2010-02-15 22:31:37

No, he didn't, Cynical. But I'll save the rebuttals for later. Taking his toys and going home. Right.

Today, many of his friends are shocked and sad. I, too, shook my fist at him more than once over particular issues. The most offensive to me: the death penalty (as governor) and the Patriot Act.

But today, just for now...let us grieve, OK? Good Lord, Tom...Burton for Senate? Are you freaking KIDDING me? He's a DC joke. He'd be gone today if:

1. Bruce Melchert could've run a campaign from anywhere but a golf cart; and

2. The GOP could pull its collective head out of its backside and gel around one opponent. Today, there are 3 or 4 excellent ones. All of whom will probably lose to this skirt-chasing goober.

There will be ample time to dissect this departure. Even with his faults, Evan was one of our best governors, and a damned good senator.

Methinks you'll get to see him on another ballot someday.

2010-02-16 04:17:42

Oh yeah, Mary Beth's story was the first to break, even though she got some salient facts wrong. It was solid reporting. Or perhaps a leak to her specifically.

Whatever you've heard, Ruthie, Evan was anything but afraid of the GOP this fall. He had a poll in the field that showed him way ahead of any of those candidates, and Coats, in particular, didn't scare him at all.

That poll did show the campaign would've been ugly, dirty and full of smears. In the end, I think that shocked him--jut how far the electorate had come in its outright acceptance of vitriol...indeed, the electorate almost expects it now.

In the end, I suspect, our current political climate is the fault of all of us, including Evan.

To me, over half the blame goes to the GOP, for using the filibuster a record 84 times in 13 months. Just because they could.

But when the majority party stands by and wrings its hands, the minority is emboldened to become even more disruptive.

I'd have jumped for joy if someone--Evan, Harkin, Durbin--SOMEONE--had stood up and called them out for their nonsense. Up-or-down, 51 votes rule...but no.

The silence was deafening.

Today, for some reason, we value victory over all. There is no shame in fighting for your principles and losing a good fight. I just hope our President and the majorities in Congress have learned that lesson.

2010-02-16 04:24:22