'Damned week' at the Star gets worse

Dateline: Fri 02 Apr 2010

Here is the story and link (with the offending illustration) from Huff Post, with thanks to the reader who sent it this way:

(AP) INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Star newspaper has apologized to Duke University after some of Friday's editions included an illustration of coach Mike Krzyzewski with horns and a target drawn on his head.

The illustration on the front of the sports section accompanied a story titled "Despising Duke" that detailed how some fans strongly dislike the Blue Devils' program.

Jim Lefko, the Star's senior editor/sports, said the paper pulled the illustration "when we realized it didn't meet our standards."

"It was an illustration that should have come together earlier than it did," Lefko said.

He estimated the drawing appeared in fewer than 30,000 copies of the edition distributed statewide. He said he apologized Friday morning to Duke officials, who said they hadn't yet seen the illustration.

But when Krzyzewski took the podium Friday afternoon, he had, and he was not amused.

"First thing I thought, 'That can't be,'" Krzyzewski said. "How could a newspaper do that? That's like somebody doodled. Actually, I thought I looked better. But it was kind of juvenile. Not kind of. Just juvenile. And my seven grandkids didn't enjoy looking at it. 'It's not Poppy.'

"It is what it is. It's very juvenile," he continued. "We have great kids who go to school, who graduate. If we're going to be despised or hated by anybody because we go to school and we want to win, you know what, that's your problem. Then you have a problem, because we're going to go to school and we're going to try to win. You don't like it? Keep drawing pictures. Just keep drawing pictures. Try to do them a little better than that though."

OK, first rule of therapy: was anybody hurt? Was anybody killed? No, so let's get a grip here -- what it was, was a tacky and ill-conceived illustration that the newspaper -- in fact, exec editor Dennis Ryerson, according to the Star -- pulled swiftly. Duke's coach doubtless has had worse experiences.

As another example, when editor Ryerson emailed Tuesday about the Andy Gammill/IPS story, he allowed that things had been rough of late. You've already read about the Indy Guild's fury over the newsapaper's use of reporter TJ Banes' camping story as a marketing/ad guide. Here's what Ryerson had to say about that:

"Another (snafu) by the way, marketing called me two weeks ago and asked if they could use an intro we used a couple of years ago on the summer camp guide. I stupidly said sure, thinking it was a simple, "Welcome to The Star's annual summer camp guide." Had I know it was a story I'd never have given consent. It was my bad error pure and simple. I should have asked to see what the item was. It's not something that we are going to do in the future; nothing has changed in terms of news doing ad or marketing work from my perspective.

It's been one of those damned weeks."

My answer? Retirement is great. He might want to give it a try.

Comments

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Isn't it fun when there are no grown-ups in charge?

2010-04-03 07:10:54

Retirement? Dennis? Are you knidding?

Two good incomes in the Milz/Dennis household. Why would he retire? He apparently works a modicum of hours, or, at the very least, doesn't pay very close attention when he is there. He's probably paid, by Gannett Annual Report standards, $150 Large to be a mediocre editor.

I'll do it for half that, but...I don't think they'd appreciate the Bronx cheers regarding Gannett management. Coming from one of their own editors.

I'd be a Camel with my nose under the tent. Occasionally, there'd be some, uh....turds in the punchbowl.

2010-04-03 07:15:52

varangianguard [unverified] said:

This post seems to be related to the previous one. Coach K simply got that photo "assembled".

2010-04-03 09:29:57

StarStruck [unverified] said:

How embarrasing. Never would have happened (or even THOUGHT OF)"back in the day." I hope someone got fired over that!

2010-04-03 10:18:41

Marycatherine Barton [unverified] said:

That's the Gannett STAR, lean and mean.

2010-04-03 22:54:49

starmanz1228 [unverified] said:

Dennis/Milz income? Someone hasn't done their homework. They have been divorced for some time.

2010-04-04 23:29:19

2010-04-05 00:22:24

George Stuteville [unverified] said:

You nailed the three-pointer from outside, Ruthie: "Probably the bigger issue here is that the Star no longer has enough staff/watchful eyes/experienced journalists to prevent such dumb errors from making their way into print. But that's how Gannett likes to run its ship: lean and mean. Or dumb and dumber..."

2010-04-05 09:07:43

Everyone screws up once in a while. If nothing else, it's worth a chortle. It's fun to see who wants heads rolling, and the bile of the ex Star & News tribe members that still think they have a horse in that race.

As regards Mr Knilands, please sir, send an email to Ruth who will reveal who I am to you (permission granted) so that you wont' be fighting ghosts, should that be necessary.

Then grow up and join the 2010s, sir. Anonymity is a savored right, embedded in the constitution. If you don't want to face anonymous comments, or those you can't identify, please go fish, and get some medicine for that Type A problem.

2010-04-05 09:57:53

2010-04-05 11:11:58

varangianguard [unverified] said:

Robert Knilands,

So, you've been outed from your own little (anonymous) world and have since made it your mission to try to out others in retaliation? How nice. And certainly, mature.

2010-04-05 12:01:19

2010-04-05 12:19:33

No, sir.

This is Ruth's place. She has the registration of those that are participating in this site. You do not.

As regards my right to anonymity, though I've granted you the right to know who I am (did you send the email, or are you blathering?), I'll be happy to tell you the nexus by which you, and I, have the rights to anonymity. Let's start with the constitution of our United States:

First, Article I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That means freedom of association. You're here. I'm here. I go by 'Hendy'. It's party of my name. You're Robert. Nice to know ya. Then there's abridging my speech, because I choose to remain anonymous in this forum. I'm not a coward; you're a boor for suggesting that.

Now let's go to Article V, which states in part: nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law. You sir, may not do so, either. My behavior is not only constitutionally protected by Article V, but your attempt to criticize my anonymity might indeed be seditious.

You want my real name? Go get it. Until then, kindly take your denigrations and stick them in your ear.

2010-04-05 12:55:15

Hendy, Miss Manners would not scold you. You're spot-on.

Providing your name is meaningless, unless the name is Robert Montgomery Knight. Or Evan Bayh. You geet the point.

I have no idea who Robert Knilands is. Could be made-up. Maybe not. No offense meant, Robert.

There are multiple knives out there for some of us. Some folks don't even know it. Anonymity is the individual choice of each of us, aided and monitored by our den mother Ruthie. I have complete faith in her ability to yank the plug on anyone who abuses the site--whatever name the abuser uses here.

And Ruthie, dear host: Robert is close to violating the decorum we value here. He's lashing out personally, without regard to the subject.

Passion for the subject is admired, even when I differ. Personal attacks are, well, so 1982. ("You're with me or you're a Communist!")

Move on dot org.

2010-04-05 13:47:40

varangianguard [unverified] said:

So, "having a spine" wouldn't have anything at all to do with the word "Wenalway" then?

While I certainly admit that I grew up in Terre Haute, not only am I not Todd Golden, but neither am I a journalist (or have ever purported being one, here or elsewhere).

And, I respect Coach K's accomplishments (not that it has anything to do with anything).

Next fallacious assumption, please.

2010-04-05 13:52:28

2010-04-05 13:54:18

Robert Knilands hides behind the anonymity of rknil on this site-- his own interview: http://blog.syracuse.com/newstracker/2008/08/the_robert_knilands_interview.html.

Then, it would seem that it gets worse, judging from: http://illinipundit.com/2009/07/06/robert-knilands-aka-wenalway-still-banned

And so it goes. Nothing to see here.... move along.

2010-04-05 14:11:38

2010-04-05 14:22:28

varangianguard [unverified] said:

Well, as far as "facts" go, there is no proof that "Robert Knilands" is anything other than another style of blog pseudonym.

So, calling you names like a four year-old should be a valid response, using your point of view.

But instead, I might remind you that publishing comments anonymously has a long history in Western civilization. And, since you mention the Founding Fathers, you might read up a little on the pseudonym "Publius".

If, of course, you can find the time amidst all of your juvenile bombastic, that is.

lol

2010-04-05 14:34:27

2010-04-05 14:40:45

You're nothing if tenacious. And wrong. Your Rknil is like my Hendy. Oddly, sometimes the first thing that perks up in a search engine is dead-on. I like to dig, tho I'm not a journalist and don't claim to be. Once in a while, what's on the surface is the bald-faced truth.

But you don't reveal that portion, do you? Did you email Ruth yet? If not, blather-off. Twit. How droll your insipidness.

Here's my LOL: directed at your boorishness. Perhaps you'll get some much needed therapy by laughing at me, too.

2010-04-05 15:33:02

2010-04-05 17:00:06

Uh, no. Not a journalist. Your mistake. Never said I was. You didn't read the post, above. I'm a friend of Ruth's on a good day. Ignore the 10 books, 3500+ articles. I have NEVER claimed to be a journalist. I'm a simple researcher and writer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Ok, Rknil, you're not worth it either. Nyah nyah. Please take your blood pressure medicine.

And you tickle me, trying to out me, guess who I am, etc. Don't you have the nerve to ask Ruth? Her email is ruth at (the_name_of_this_site dot com). She'll tell you.

Then you'll understand what what a blustering fool you've been. Actually, be paranoid. I'm an ex-colleague of yours, out to smear your reputation by following you from site to site. Yeah, that's it. Here's me sticking my thumbs in my ears, wagging my fingers at you, while delivering a Bronx Cheer.

The Internet was built to goad your very soul, apparently. Maybe there's a 12-step....

2010-04-05 18:05:11

2010-04-05 18:13:12

VladTheImpaler [unverified] said:

Geez, Bobby, you're like a turd in a punch bowl. Move along.

2010-04-05 18:15:50

2010-04-05 18:49:01

Hee hee hee.

Go on Mr Knilands, email Ruth. No guts no glory.

Otherwise, please self-fornicate.

2010-04-05 19:26:24

2010-04-05 19:37:19

VladTheImpaler [unverified] said:

Bobby, hope you get some mental help. It's not too late.

2010-04-05 20:53:02

Won't be anonymous if you have the guts to email Ruth. Go ahead, you can out me. It's not like it's either news or anything useful to you.

But don't take orders from little old me.

Instead: please stew in your juices.

Disclaimer: please take your meds. Not responsible for any physiological or mental circumstances on your part from spontaneous combustion due to the inability to follow an anonymous poster. With all the spine you have, you'll get sciatica.

2010-04-05 21:04:14

2010-04-05 21:07:45

What a wonderful attitude. Are you Libertarian, too? Your sense of humanity is simply overwhelming.

2010-04-05 21:27:25

2010-04-05 21:58:16

You must eat testosterone sandwiches. Doesn't the bile get old?

2010-04-05 22:03:34

2010-04-05 22:40:10

That's what I thought.

For you, Mr Knilands, nothing will satiate your appetite except the goal: out me.

No, I'm one of your grade school enemies. Or some other paranoid fantasy of yours. Yes, that gutless wonder from back at (fill in this blank).

I know you naught, only by your spleen on the floor.

2010-04-05 22:51:46

StarStruck [unverified] said:

So, now this thread has disintegrated into the same juvenile crap that the original post was about. Nice going, guys.

2010-04-05 23:26:54

2010-04-05 23:27:14

2010-04-06 00:57:24

starmanz1228 [unverified] said:

This pissing match is boring. Why doesn't someone say something worthwhile that is relevant to the Star's staffing problems? I don't know the circumstances with the Coach K devil's horns thing but I don't think it would have happened on Martha Allan's watch. Of course, they let her go, one of many who did their job well but were making too much money.

2010-04-06 01:08:31

2010-04-06 01:20:50

Coach K's devil horns point out a lot, Robert. Too much. The designers may have too much sway. I am not in the newsroom, so I can't tell. Something's desperately wrong...designers are a solid whipping boy, but let's get real: nothing gets in or taken out of the paper, without editorial decisions. And those decisions, under Gannett, appear to be much more motivated to modern-version greed, than the Pulliams.

Sometimes we whine here, collectively, but it's really thinly-disguised mourning. to-wit:

I detested the Pulliams' editorial stance, and their use of the newspaper as vehicle for their personal agenda. Cacky Loeb had nothing on the Eugenes and their kin. Because of their agendas, Dan Quayle got elected to the Senate. And was promptly plucked out to be a George HW Bush silent partner, albeit not too silent. We're sorry. America. Forgive us.

And we got massive development on Geist, via the Pulliams' friends, at the cost of Water Company ratepayers. So, the Pulliams' legacy is double-edged. We on this site mourn the journalistic death, even while we acknowledge the shortcomings of a newspaper dynasty.

Because amidst the constant nonsense on the editorial pages, and their outright campaigns against any politician remotely progressive, there was brilliant journalism.

But your incessant First Amendment diatribe is stale. I can tell you for certain, there are those among us who do not use names because of solid personal retribution that has cost money, grief and time. Not from posts here, but from posts elsewhere.

This site allows venting. It's well-moderated. Why can't you let it go at that?

Or do you relish the cyber-bully thing? If so, it's sick. If you didn't understand the ground rules or the parameters, or the blog's personality, that's fine. I think you do now.

How dare you question the First Amendment credentials of anyone here. Just because we may be square pegs to your round hole on a particular issue. Sophomoric.

2010-04-06 06:39:39

StarStruck [unverified] said:

Looks like Robert has a personal bone to pick with designers. What about the editors who oversee the designers? That stuff can't get into the paper without an editor's approval (or several), so that's where the buck should stop. Lefko should take responsibility for this one .... I truly think Ryerson was out of the loop. Bet he won't be anymore.

2010-04-06 07:10:38

I'm back...
I love a spirited discussion. That's what it's all about.
But as the sainted Gracie Bill, lead teacher at Children's Corner, uset to say, when there were squabbles among the three-year-olds etc., "We're ALL friends in nursery school."
OK, we are not all friends here -- but we are adults, so let's respect each other's perspective.
Robert, Hendy has been quoted by his name as a tipster etc. many times on this blog; he is no undercover agent hiding behind a moniker, and no slouch.
Let's focus on the real issue here, as someone said...or better yet, let's move on. I am confident the Star will provide us with other Monday morning quarterback opportunities; in fact, the story I'm looking for (and planning to post on) is the benefits of the NCAA semifinals to Butler...it's gotta be a real windfall, not only in prestige but in some real bucks.
Love those kids...

2010-04-06 07:27:03

2010-04-06 10:27:49

Speak not of hypocrisy when you've done this yourself, sir. See the links above. Your bitterness has the hallmarks of a cad, and one that can only follow the bliss of sullying the good reputations of others.

Rknil, we'll speak to you no more here.

2010-04-06 11:39:42

I'm with 'ya when you'r right, hendy.

Robert is off my Christmas Card list.

Poof, be gone, Robert. Your arrows are kinda funny, actually, despite your denials.

Well, funny and pathetic.
God watches out for idiots and children.

2010-04-06 12:19:10

2010-04-06 12:35:03

Walter Burns [unverified] said:

Let me just preface by saying that I am impressed, nay - amazed at the journalistic acumen acquired by Mr. Knilands. I'm sure he has been employed by the very best enterprises at the top of the journalistic pyramid throughout his career.

Certainly, I would have assumed that one who had worked at such a level would have exhibited a little more modesty and reticence instead of flaunting his 'knowledge and experiences' all across the World Wide Web. But, I see that is not the case.

That said, I would suggest that Mr. Knilands be given all of the due afforded to one of his obvious stature and demeanor. That is to say, just ignore the immature sociopath, and eventually he will just scuttle back into whatever dark recess he emerged from.

This behavior is not uncommon for someone with an over-inflated view of his/her own self-importance who has also swum the waters of blog anonymity. Yet, whose behavior required more responsible parties to publish their identities for the sake of civility (or public safety).

The subsequent emotional backlash of name-calling and faceless taunting seems to be indicative of certain types of sociopathologies best left out of more civilized intercourse.

2010-04-06 13:22:38

2010-04-06 14:44:34

Don't feed the trolls....

2010-04-06 15:21:42

Jeez, I'm not sure what all these name calling and ad hominums are about. There's a lot of boring, repetitious insulting here, and Mr Bob clearly carries a grudge about designers (and I agree, the poor designers have been tasked with newspaper responsibilities far beyond their experience), but that should be blamed on tight-fisted management which universally is coming to require multiple disciplines from every poor sod.

However, the horse is NOT going to get up; like the parrot, it is dead, dead, dead. But Ruthie, you may whack posters with your civility stick.

2010-04-06 15:32:05

Ruthie, honey, I love ya more than my luggage, but ya gott apull the plug on this guy. Venom is a step up for this man.

Talk about a buzz kill.

2010-04-06 15:56:05

Jason [unverified] said:

Mr. Knilands, for somebody who spends so much time online it's amazing how much you despise anonymity. Have you been paying attention much here in the information age? You're asking for privilege because you post with a first and last name. And? You could be posting from Harvard or Tent City, what you fail to realize is that here it simply doesn't matter. Nobody cares. It's an absolute democracy. Does it rile you that much? Evidently not because you're STILL here.

If you don't like it, post elsewhere. If you want to lead by example, you're going to have to do much better. Then again, since I don't have a scanner to put my thumbprint at the end of this comment, you'll probably call me a mudslinger, eh?

2010-04-06 17:20:20

Yep, or worse, Jason.

Idle minds. The devil's workshop.

2010-04-06 18:10:01

If you google Robert's name, a peculiar pathology becomes evident.

2010-04-06 18:25:42

escaped before being gannettized [unverified] said:

Back to the original point. I can remember when it was rare, possibly once or twice every few to several months, that there would be an editorial correction notice on the bottom of pg. 2, left hand corner. Now I see anywhere from two to four correction notice listings in one issue, sometimes three or four times a week.
Embarassing for a major daily newspaper. There's the obvious easy solution for this, but that would involve spending a few extra dollars for someone to proofread, verify and simply spellcheck names, etc. that you won't find in the normal electronic version of spellcheck.
I guess they get what they pay for.

2010-04-06 19:45:01

2010-04-06 21:30:22

2010-04-06 21:32:03

starmanz1228 [unverified] said:

Enough is enough, Robert K. This is boring. You made your point. Drop your hammer and shutup.

2010-04-07 00:34:19

Ruth, your blog has been lacking nutjob commentary.

Bob has restored balance.

2010-04-07 07:26:47

2010-04-07 10:12:17

Terry [unverified] said:

My paper that day had the original pic (no blue marker) with a head in the corner: Boo Devils. Catchy, I thought.

I actually read the story and, if true, Duke apparently has few fans even in its home state. While I am far from a Duke fan, that sounded sad because those players work hard, too.

The marker job does seem like it happened on everybody's day off. I've made my share of print mistakes; none got much attention but they were errors anyway. This looks like a poor attempt to make Coach K look like one of his team's fans. At the Friday practices I saw a baby in a stroller whose face was painted with a Blue Devil mask, as well as the usual young adults with similar makeup and the horn headgear.

I've been taking my now-grown kids to Butler games since they were in Cub Scouts and am still bummed about the outcome.

Back to the bad graphic: I keep thinking if it was Bob Huggins, he probably would have laughed the whole thing off.

2010-04-10 01:41:51