Lisa Lenoir tells it like it is

Dateline: Wed 29 Jul 2009

Lisa D. Lenoir, a writer and fashionista who never sits still for long, brightened the newsrooms of the Indianapolis News and the Indianapolis Star in the 1990s, before moving on to a more glamorous "milk and honey" career in Chicago.  She covered society and wrote travel features for the Chicago Sun-Times while spreading her delicate but steely and always elegant wings in that windy city.

Now, like so many others, the award-winning and multi-talented journalist is out of work. Not one to idle in a vacuum, she's created an energetic blog, hit-pause (see link above) and is regaling readers with her experiences job-hunting in cyber space and shopping (well, mostly admiring the Neiman Marcus spoils) on Michigan Avenue.

At the heart of her blog message is her reflection on job loss and being a journalist. I love what she has written about re-inventing self, so here's a sliver of thought:

"This platform is so important for someone who considers themselves to be part of a lost tribe of journalists looking to find their place for commentary, news and other musings as the media landscape changes. But now I am part of a new tribe of writers in blogosphere (urbantravelgirl, coco cooks and others.) So consider this space to be one to visit to find out my thoughts on everything from the day’s news, to lifestyle trends (yes, I will be infusing my fashion, travel and society expertise for my faithful followers) and whatever else is on my mind.

"So why the name 'Hit Pause'? This title came after brainstorming with my former Chicago Sun-Times colleague Susan in a Corner Bakery store at Olgivie train station. (My virtual office.) We felt there needed to be a space where other writers and artists could come to share their thoughts about being unemployed or underemployed either by choice or circumstances and just try their hand at writing their views on issues related to this in limbo space. Many of us are having to reinvent ourselves and see our world through different eyes during this economic downturn. I wanted to create a community. In essence to create a “promise land” for these lost tribe members and their seasoned voices. Mine is one such voice.

"My blog is the first foray into this zone. I want to take this cathartic plunge, especially since I am coming close to one year in August of being underemployed. It’s hard to believe. I hope my thoughts of wisdom, reflection and oh, yes, tons of humor (have to laugh) foster discussions about this new space and what it means. My perspective will be through this prism.

So enjoy the ride as I hit the pause button and share my thoughts with you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Lisa"

I have bookmarked her blog and will add it to blogroll. We all love a cathartic plunge. Thanks, Lisa, for providing it.

Comments

Reinvention isn't that hard. We all of us change jobs: some we love, some we hate.

A relative of mine was a reporter for the Star for 7 years; became an elected offical's aide; became a PR person with major national responsibility; became an ad agency person managing big budgets; became a corporate manager; became a headhunter with major success; and at various times went back to newspapering. Which she does now, full circle and all. Nearly all her career changes came by outside invitation: she was asked if she would be interested in trying something new.

Critical to reinvention of self is the willingness to step outside the comfort zone, to try different things.

2009-07-29 13:44:02

Boomer [unverified] said:

Good to hear what Lisa is up to. Used to work with her on travel stories when she was with the Sun-Times. Best of luck to her in the post-newspaper world of journalism, which is already here. Some folks are just in denial about it.

2009-07-29 21:30:11

Ms. Cynical [unverified] said:

Tom Greenacres has it nailed: life changes. Get over it and get on with it, as Boomer notes.

Whining about the good old days doesn't pay the bills.

2009-07-30 19:26:48

Star Geezer [unverified] said:

2009-07-31 09:59:24

"Hey, Tom Greenacres -- you wouldn't be talkin' 'bout Mary Ann Butters, would you?"

What's it you, Geezer?
She received a journo award today, The School Bell, from ISTA. Dan C. also received same. Old reporters never die. As long as the facts need to be told...and people want to know.

2009-07-31 20:36:15

Star Geezer [unverified] said:

Thanks, Tom (Butters?) Greenacres!

Kinda thought it was my old pal.

I've always been a fan, y'know.

A journo award today? Not familiar with the School Bell. What for?

2009-08-01 10:27:41

Geezer,
Who you?
Give me an email at tombread@aol.com.
(The School Bell is awarded for reporting on education issues, with reporters nominated by ISTA chapters.)

2009-08-01 11:16:53

Star Geezer [unverified] said:

Nope. Sorry. Refuse to communicate with anyone still using AOL for email!

2009-08-01 20:42:23

I think the general message that "life goes on" is critical here.
By its very nature, this blog/readers will occasionally wallow in nostalgia, but like Lisa shows, and Tom Greenacres' relative also demonstrates, we all are capable of doing new things.
Thank God. The old ways get boring...

2009-08-01 21:30:20

"Nope. Sorry. Refuse to communicate with anyone still using AOL for email!"

You are an IT elitist!
AOL is my only option out here in the cornfield, the only ISP I can use without long distance charges (my only broadband option is Hughes.net and I won't go there).
ps:
www.tombuttersart.com (advert)

2009-08-02 09:22:26

Star Geezer [unverified] said:

"AOL is my only option", writes Tom Greenacres.

Actually, you can use AOL as your ISP and (shock!) gmail as your email provider. Not rocket science, eh Hoosier?

As Ruth writes, "we all are capable of doing new things".

2009-08-02 19:00:08

As Ruth writes, "we all are capable of doing new things".

Capability and receptivity are two different things.

OK, SG, stay shrouded in mystery.

2009-08-02 20:06:56

Star Geezer [unverified] said:

"Mystery" is my middle name!

2009-08-03 11:57:52