'Left behind' and at a loss

Dateline: Mon 13 Jul 2009

This is from the July 10 Inkling, published online by the Indianapolis Star newspaper Guild. The words are from Guild president Tom Spalding.

"I want to personally express my condolences to those who were terminated. Some, I got to say goodbye to over the phone or in person today. Others, I did not. Those who are 'left behind' are at a loss to come to grips with the unnecessary cuts and at the same time are skeptical of our own future. No matter what excellence we produce journalistically, anyone’s number could come up the next time corporate wants to slash payroll.

"I also want to again publicly express my dismay that James Keough, VP of HR, on this day of all days, asked me this afternoon when the Guild was ready to resume negotiations. I told him we are in a state of shock; our contract bargaining team took a hit.

"We lost news researcher Sylvia Halladay, who was a devoted, dutiful, irreplaceable record-keeper whose meticulous notes kept management accountable for over five years. Her attention to detail made her an absolutely top-notch Guild secretary. She was also a vital secretary on the contract negotiation team, and we cannot continue until we find a replacement. Holding an election fror Syl’s replacement will be an even more burdensome task as we lost Renee Petrina, an up-and-coming Guild member who co-coordinated our June 30 contract vote so ably; and Michelle Watson, a steward, was the E-inkling and print Inkling copy editor and yet another wise hand who attended EVERY bargaining session during contract talks and was committed to making the Star a great workplace."

Tom also notes that the union lost 14 dues-paying members in Slaughterhouse Thursday/Friday at the Star.

Comments

LB [Member] said:

Ruth,

Please share this info with Zach Dunkin and other former Star reporters. Even in this economy, there are some publications looking for great writers and editors. Here's one:

2009-07-14 10:28:01

StanF [unverified] said:

Sounds like it time for a general strike at the Star.

Walk out as a group now, our crawl out individually later.

2009-07-14 10:47:06

Dick Hertz [unverified] said:

Did you look closely at the MediaShift jobs, LB? They're all part time -- and the correspondents are unpaid.

2009-07-14 11:25:26

Sounds as if Mr. Keough is a master of timing.

2009-07-14 12:31:26

Brian [unverified] said:

You had all better stand together now, or you will certainly meet an unpleasant individual fate later. The biggest problem with labor unions today, is there just doesn't seem to be much unity. At this point in the game, it may be too late to save things, it may have been too late to save things a couple years ago...but it is, what it is. Strike, walk out, this ship is sinking fast as it is.

2009-07-14 12:38:41

Doug [unverified] said:

Ruth, as a reader, I probably should know the answer to this, but I don't. Are you related to Sylvia Halladay?

2009-07-15 15:05:08

Doug [unverified] said:

Oops, I see it's Halladay, not Holladay. Good thing I was never a copy editor!

2009-07-16 09:22:29

SgtPeppers [Member] said:

A strike. Bwahaha. I'm sure the same folks who complain about potential paycuts, yet won't join the union, will be the first ones on the picket line.

2009-07-16 11:50:18