Three more from features

Dateline: Thu 09 Jul 2009

Gannet got:

Zach Dunkin, a former arts and entertainment editor and multi-talented writer; Shirley Roberts, a sweetheart and super-user when it comes to knowing her way around the features copy desk technology; and Chris Jordan, a meticulous and hard-working copy editor/numbers guy who formerly did TV logs.

Forgive me if I do not know everyone's correct job title anymore. These are three more talented journalists put out to pasture by Gannett, in its frenzy to keep Wall Street investors happy.

Once again, and it gets old saying it: bon voyage.

Comments

John Howard [unverified] said:

And Zack had been there almost since electric typewriters were new-fangled gadgets.

What the heck is their logic in all this? It's like Gannett has slit its wrists is just waiting for the last few drops to spill onto the ground.

2009-07-09 16:45:53

Mike Ehret [unverified] said:

Zach was the real deal. Loved reading his stuff from when he was the music critic at The News and let me horn in now and then on his beat.

Donna Eggert, another former pal and former librarian/morgue sort.

As the Moodies would sing, "Strange days, strange days indeed."

2009-07-09 16:48:24

VladtheImpaler [unverified] said:

Shirley, in particular, was one of the most hard-working, knowledgeable people in that now-defunct newsroom. Stupid move, Gannett and ye vichey collaborators in local management. There indeed is no logic in this. Dang.

2009-07-09 17:46:26

Kelly Kendall [unverified] said:

Ridiculous. All three of these people are talented, hard-working, and among the nicest you'd want to know. I had the pleasure of working especially closely with Zach, for a long time as a writer and then later as an editor, and he was an absolute joy to work with -- thorough, flexible, positive, always knew his stuff. What a loss.
Onward and upward!

2009-07-09 17:58:42

Homer [Member] said:

Zach is a professional and a gentleman, however rumpled, who after many, many years still approached each story with zeal and originality. The Star should have given him a pat on the back, not a shove out the door.

2009-07-09 19:57:29

starmanz1228 [Member] said:

Kelly Kendall was one of two editors -- Amanda Kingsbury was the other -- who were responsible for getting my creative juices flowing at a time I could have easily been jaded. They made writing fun for me again, and I am forever grateful for that. Their was a mutual trust and mutual admiration. They both proved that you teach an old dog new tricks. They gave me the best two years of my life at The Star, and that's why I hate to see it end.

zach

2009-07-09 21:57:11

starmanz1228 [Member] said:

zach

2009-07-09 21:57:11

Skip Berry [unverified] said:

Zach was one of the finest editors I ever had the pleasure of working with. Since losing his editorial responsibilities due to his willingness to stand up for the writers on his staff, he returned his first love-- writing and reporting, which he did with unerring professionalism and style. As I've told him many times, he has a lot of friends-- and a bright future-- outside the newsroom.

2009-07-10 06:34:29

B2 [unverified] said:

Zach and I go back to covering high school sports together, him for The News and me for The Star. We still recall covering a football game in the cold rain at Beech Grove High School. Those were the days.
After sports he morphed into covering his true love, music and the arts. Especially music. Rock Pile!!
Z's a great person with a terrific personality... so easy going. Yet those dunderheads in Gannett management kept reducing his role. What a waste.
I'm sad for Z but happy in that I know he will discover a happy and more fulfilling "life after."
Go well my friend.

2009-07-10 09:12:20

jkoszut [Member] said:

Shirley is the one of the best persons you will ever meet! She's so nice! They will miss her Superuser status!

2009-07-10 13:57:18